New tyres. Goodyear, conti or Michelin

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Well I was tidying the garage this weekend and noticed the summer wheels looking rather sad. They are down to 4mm on the front and got small cuts on the outer tread. I am using this as a excuse to bin the awful Bridgestone S001.

My choices are the new Goodyear asymmetric 3 and Michelin ps4, these are just out and found very good pricing compared to their predecessors, or the continental sport contact 5. I am edging towards the Goodyear as they are only £80 each fitted and have lower noise ratings. Anyone used the new tyres or got any other suggestions

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Well I was tidying the garage this weekend and noticed the summer wheels looking rather sad. They are down to 4mm on the front and got small cuts on the outer tread. I am using this as a excuse to bin the awful Bridgestone S001.

My choices are the new Goodyear asymmetric 3 and Michelin ps4, these are just out and found very good pricing compared to their predecessors, or the continental sport contact 5. I am edging towards the Goodyear as they are only £80 each fitted and have lower noise ratings. Anyone used the new tyres or got any other suggestions

I know size makes a difference ;) but currently running Leon on asymmetric 2's ( 3 not available in 19" yet) and more than happy with them. Work Passat came on Sport 5's, were ok but wore really quick, had a set of P Zero's on which didnt give any major issues ( although when fitted to previous LCR they seemed to have weak sidewalls) but have now run a couple of sets of Goodyears and they've been fine.
Not tried Michelins recently so can't comment .

davitt.dd

Sep 26, 2014
plus.google.com
Got 18" on mine and originally had Goodyear efficient grip all round, no complaints a fantastic tyre. As expected held the road well and fantastic in the wet. Front tyres wore out so I decided to treat myself to the Michelin ps3 and Omg they are amazing, I've never felt so confident cornering at speed before and whenever someone tries to tell me tyres make no difference I take that opportunity to scare the crap out of the idiot.
Summary: Goodyear are brilliant and if you want to save a few quid go for them (imo) if money isn't a issue and you only want the best get the Michelin, I promise you won't look back.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
If the pilot sport 4 are actually a development, as claimed, of the excellent pilot sport 2 (and not the worse PS3) then they should be a superb tyre, you certainly wouldn't be disappointed. The Pilot Super Sport would be a very good punt if you do lots of track work. I generally like the assymetricals for road use, we have them on our S3, but I wouldn't use them on track and I much prefer the PS2 or SS as a outright performance tyre :)

Sampd170

Jan 9, 2015
Shropshire
Hey have pilot super sports fitted on my 18's cannot fault them I'll defiantly get them again, however now I'm seriously considering winter tyres and wheels too as you run then any recommendations? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Hey have pilot super sports fitted on my 18's cannot fault them I'll defiantly get them again, however now I'm seriously considering winter tyres and wheels too as you run then any recommendations? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As far as winter tyres go I can highly recommend the Nokia WRD4. Awesome.

davitt.dd

Sep 26, 2014
plus.google.com
Michelin cross climate tyres are worth a look. Made for all weather but as good on ice as any winter tyre (went to the proving ground and tested these tyres myself against conti winter only tyres and just as effective on ice aswell as in wet/dry conditions.)

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Michelin cross climate tyres are worth a look. Made for all weather but as good on ice as any winter tyre (went to the proving ground and tested these tyres myself against conti winter only tyres and just as effective on ice aswell as in wet/dry conditions.)

just fitted these as all year rounders for my wife's saab 9-5.
They grip well, wet or dry, and they're quiet.
Since she hardly does any miles, and is a "careful" driver, wear won't be an issue.
Her last ones were 6 years old and still had 5.5 mm, but were perishing/cracking due to age. Aren't we all?
Got Nokian WRD3 on my FR as winters, and they're excellent...

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Whereabouts is that? And is that for the 18's or 17's? I can't find the 18's for any less than £90

They are 18s local tyre place, the lad I work with is related to the guy who runs the place so got mates/family discount cheapest I found tyre only was tyreleader

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
Just swapped off the original bridgestones and put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on all round. Wow, what a difference! To echo what everyone else has said it is like night and day.

I know there is the old to new benefit which you have to take into account but I can't remember the car ever having this much grip. It is the front end, there is no lightness of feel. It wasn't under steer before, just a bit of slippage which has just gone!

Could this be part of the reason that the Golf R was always deemed to handle better in some of the original reviews? But now when they compare to the Sub 8 (on Michelin tyres!) it is a better drive?

Loving my car even more now!

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Just swapped off the original bridgestones and put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on all round. Wow, what a difference! To echo what everyone else has said it is like night and day.

I know there is the old to new benefit which you have to take into account but I can't remember the car ever having this much grip. It is the front end, there is no lightness of feel. It wasn't under steer before, just a bit of slippage which has just gone!

Could this be part of the reason that the Golf R was always deemed to handle better in some of the original reviews? But now when they compare to the Sub 8 (on Michelin tyres!) it is a better drive?

Loving my car even more now!

Just wait until the weather is warm and dry.:lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise