RNS310 to RNS315 guide.

Rob_Talisman

MKII CR FR 170 FL Stage 2
Sep 2, 2013
North East
Ok swapped mine over few weeks ago. Got a bit of a guide with pics.

7y7ynyde.jpg

First remove the RNS310. The facia surrounding the radio pops out fairly easy. I used a credit card to slide under and pop out then ease the rest out. Remove the 4 torque screws and it slides out easy. The white connector for the aerial has a little slide out locking pieces. Pop it out then tug the connector off. The blue gps connector has a little lever piece. Push it in and tug it off. The main cable connector again has a lever. Pull it outwards from the bottom and it then swings out and the connector unplugs easily.

To make life easy i also removed the climate control section. Two screws bottom left of it and again easy out the surround and it all pops off. Remove the 3 cable connectors.

uju3u9yn.jpg

The RNS315 has DAB so needed to install a DAB aerial.
I mounted the aerial top left of the window then ran the cable back to the radio. To do this i had to remove the pilar A section of trim.

qe8a2are.jpg

The trim under the passenger side foot well. Under glove box.

juduteza.jpg

And pulled the trim off the side of the center console.

eqy4ubes.jpg

Not sure that was needed actually.
And brought the cable out into the radio area.

guzybu6u.jpg

I needed a switched live and earth for the DAB aerial. This surprisingly you cant get off the radio wiring. In fact i took this feed from the lights. Sorry no pics. But basically pulled the light switch cable connector out and tested for a switched live via a multimeter. Cut the cable and added cable connectors. Soldered them and job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Rob_Talisman

Sep 2, 2013
North East
The next job was to sort the bluetooth out for the radio to be able to stream music from my phone and also have it work with the in built mic in the car.
Ive copied a fee photos from another user for this as he helped me. Hope this is ok.
If you compare the two radio wiring connections you can see they are different.

Rns310

za8u2a4e.jpg

Rns315

amy9ehus.jpg

The diff is the mic connections we want which are on the green block connector.

9u6ububy.jpg

On the Green block pinout (found at the HU quadlock connector):

1 – Microphone input, negative

2 – AUX output, audio, right

3 – AUX output, common signal earth

4 – Microphone output, negative

5 – Telephone audio input signal left, negative

6 – Telephone audio input signal right, negative

7 – Microphone input, positive

8 – AUX output, audio, left

9 – Microphone output, positive

10 – Telephone mute (mute switch for radio)

11 – Telephone audio input signal left, positive

12 – Telephone audio input signal right, positive

We need to connect the mic to connecter 1 and 7

These currently do not exist in the connector itself.

And the easiest place to connect to the existing mic is via the bluetooth module under the drivers seat. So i ran two cables. Pushed them to the right of the radio hole. Under the steering wheel footwell cover. Across the panel that covers the fuse box

5enamyru.jpg

a9e7equv.jpg

Down the trim going down to the floor.*

hyparara.jpg

Under the floor/door trim

4amepy5y.jpg

Then under the carpet under the drivers seat

8a8y7ezu.jpg

Last edited:

Rob_Talisman

Sep 2, 2013
North East
Then to connect them up.

sebu9eve.jpg

This is the plan.

So i needed two extra connection. I got an old radio connector.

qu9u5aby.jpg

And pulled two of the pins out.

a2unysug.jpg

These i would use in the green connector for pins 1 and 7. So pulled the connectors out of the connector block.

yzu2edar.jpg

Got the green connector.

a4yza9u8.jpg

And pushed these two wires into the correct empt holes. I then superglued the end of the connector to hold them in place.

I then crimmed on connectors to the wires and soldered them to.

enyrahyd.jpg

6u7y7asy.jpg

Did this for these two cables and the two cables i ran under the seat and connected up.

Then under the seat i had to push the seat back as far as it would go. Then unplug the bluetooth cable connector.

upusereq.jpg

You had to slide the blue connector out of its housing. I the cut connections 11 & 12 and again soldered on connections and joined up the two cables i had run to the radio pins 1 & 7 and joined them up to 11 & 12.
You then need to leave the bluetooth module unplugged btw.

With this done everything could be clipped back together. Best to test first though which i did.

You may need to alter some settings within VAG-COM via the connector under driver side light switches. I disabled the bluetooth and enabled the bluetooth on the radio via this.

na7avu7y.jpg

That done it all works a treat.

Last edited:

Mattd938

Feb 14, 2016
Huddersfield
Aaaaahhhh I was going to swap my unit over this weekend, didn't realise it was this complicated I thought it would be just swap the cables over. Also didn't know I needed vcds so that's me knackered then as I haven't got it.

Bummer

Mattd938

Feb 14, 2016
Huddersfield
Been looking on ebay and there are a few different rns315 adapter harnesses consisting of the green plug with a microphone going all the way to the whole plug with the Bluetooth plug at the other.

Will one of these adaptors do the work of all the extra wiring bits that you did?

You mention not plugging the Bluetooth plug back in when you have changed the wiring so does that mean I only need the green plug to have the two wires for the microphone?

Hope someone can shed some light on this that has done the conversion

Rob_Talisman

Sep 2, 2013
North East
I connected the mic up to the rns315 and disconnected the original bluetooth unit. Didnt need vcds to get it working though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise