Age old question... Tyres?

cbates1990

May 3, 2010
Hi all,

Looking to get new tyres put on soon for the cars MOT in May.

Local tyre fitters normally have a deal on with Continental or kumho at £60 each.

What are you guys using? And what would you recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking to get new tyres put on soon for the cars MOT in May.

Local tyre fitters normally have a deal on with Continental or kumho at £60 each.

What are you guys using? And what would you recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using Michelin's as they came on a deal at Costco. I've been more concerned with grip than mileage though the new job might change that.

staccato

Jan 2, 2016
Look at the labels on the tyres. They're a great leveller nowadays and show that a £50 kumho can perform as well as a £100 michelin.
Tyres I've really got on well with in the past have been dunlop sport maxx rt or tt and falken 912. An asymmetrical tread is better generally too.

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
I've started using the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres and so far they have been awesome :)

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine, very happy and much better than the standard fit Birdgestones. I'd go as far to say they have transformed the way the car handles, with the Bridgestones I had trouble with tram-lining and loss of confidence around slippery bends but have none of that now.

My car has 30k on it, the rears have been on since 12k and have 5mm of tread left. The fronts have been on since 17k and also have 5mm left.

I'd recommend a well reviewed branded tyre personally, both the Kumho and Conti are well known entities. As previous posted commented - steer clear of the cheaper brands with odd names, they'll be OK in normal conditions but add in some emergency braking to avoid some other danger and you'll soon pay the difference in new pants and an interior valet alone...

Bish72

Mar 4, 2015
I switched the original Bridgestones over to a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on my ST 170 sport tech whilst they still had plenty of tread left (4-5mm) as I hated them, as the Bridgestones spun up to easily and were twitchy on wet corners.
The Uniroyals are made by Continental, a lot less noisy and grip really well especially in the wet (hence the name), the only down side is that the car gets a lot dirtier down the sides when the roads are wet (a small price to pay for the grip). I will buy Uniroyal again when these wear out.

Dave

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.