Crash bang wallop - broken n/s/r spring

irvtheswerv

Dec 15, 2015
Posted on here a few times, though must be quite some time as had to re-register.

Anyway bought a 59 plate 143 S at 12 months old with 2,800 miles on, remapped to 181bhp & 289lb/ft.

Now got 90,000 miles on it. Only thing that's ever gone wrong is the DPF at 78,000 miles. Chemical flush seemed to solve that still driving it. Until.....

Pulling on to the lane behind the house, almighty whack on n/s/r. Inched the 25 yds to the drive, jacked it up and there' a spring not looking healthy in 2 pieces.

How easy is it to replace this? Is it as simple as taking the shocks off, manoeuvring spring in replace shocks and away we go? Will do both sides and replace shocks as well while I'm at it, get tracking checked shortly afterwards.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Legohead

Feb 11, 2006
Hertfordshire
Had exactly the same spring fail on my ST a few months ago at 40k miles.

Tried doing it myself. Shock unbolted, anti roll bar drop link unbolted, but just couldn't get the suspension to drop far enough. Managed it on other cars without spring compressors, but not this time. Doesn't look like enough room to get them in there either.

irvtheswerv

Dec 15, 2015
Update... had the same problem as legohead.

Removed shocks, brakes, dropped lower arm and could not get the spring to fit even when compressed. Looked to me like the whole arm has to be removed and then jacked back up with the spring in place. Since I was doing this on the driveway, that proved to be impossible. So I put it all back together and it's being lifted to a garage tomorrow.

There may be another way to do it, but I'm not a mechanic and this was beyond my meagre skills.

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
I've got a rattle from my N/S/F that I'm starting to think might be a broken spring. Couldnt see any wear in the bushes when I had a look but I havent been able to get it on a jack to check anything else.

How hard are the front springs to change?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members