Space saving spare wheel question

Jamaway

Mar 1, 2016
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me out with this one? Please forgive my ignorance.

I've just purchased a new Ibiza ST 1.2 TSI Connect which has 16" alloys.

I traded in my old 2008 (new shape) Ibiza for it, and took the space saving spare wheel from the back of it as I knew one didn't come with the new model.

My question is, will this old spare wheel be compatible with my new car? The owners manual says that spare wheels are specific to "your vehicle" but I'm assuming it's not that specific?

I'm a bit crap with this so not sure. Do these codes help?

The code on the tyres for the new vehicle is: 215/45 r16 (same as my old car tyres)

The code on the tyre for the spare is: 175/70 r14

I'm assuming it should be alright?

Thanks for your help

BF95

Oct 15, 2013
Coventry
The fitment is still the same and I'm sure the brakes will fit in that space, should be fine

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Jamaway

Mar 1, 2016
The fitment is still the same and I'm sure the brakes will fit in that space, should be fine

Cheers - I thought that might be the case. I emailed a SEAT spare parts place (firstforseatcars.com) to ask and they've replied saying it's not compatible and they can sell me a new one that is for £130.... Not sure if they are right there though...

Last edited:

BF95

Oct 15, 2013
Coventry
Worth nipping into the dealers and asking to see what wheel and tyre they supply.

Feb 8, 2011
I'd have thought that it should be fine.

175/70-14 has a rolling diameter of 300.3 mm. and 215/45-16 has a rolling diameter of 299.95 mm - so spot on.

The tyre is not as wide but that is the point of a space saver. I suppose the rim offset could not be optimum but I'd doubt that is an issue since the tyre is narrower anyway.

My Ibiza 1.2 TSi SE came with 185/60-15 (301.5 diameter) and a also has a 175/70-14 spare.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The only issue might be if you have the bigger front brakes, ie 288mm discs with "ATE" looking callipers - if you can read FS111 on the body of the front callipers then you will be okay, typically the bigger front brakes get mated with rear disc brakes, and so the small front brakes get mated with drum brakes, but with SEAT it looks like anything goes!

Feb 8, 2011
The only issue might be if you have the bigger front brakes, ie 288mm discs with "ATE" looking callipers - if you can read FS111 on the body of the front callipers then you will be okay, typically the bigger front brakes get mated with rear disc brakes, and so the small front brakes get mated with drum brakes, but with SEAT it looks like anything goes!

According to my brochure all the 1.2 TSi cars have 256 mm front discs and 232 mm rear discs. I expect the 'Connect' is the same.

Why not take off wheel and measure disc with a rule?

Edit - Just looked at the new brochure. The Connect is 90 PS and has 256 mm front discs and 200 mm rear drums.

New 1.2 110 PS FR has the 288 mm discs and the 1.2 95 PS ECO TSi has the 256 mm front discs and 230 mm rear discs like my old SE. So between 90 PS and 110 PS there are three brake variants!

Last edited:

Jamaway

Mar 1, 2016
According to my brochure all the 1.2 TSi cars have 256 mm front discs and 232 mm rear discs. I expect the 'Connect' is the same.

Why not take off wheel and measure disc with a rule?

Edit - Just looked at the new brochure. The Connect is 90 PS and has 256 mm front discs and 200 mm rear drums.

New 1.2 110 PS FR has the 288 mm discs and the 1.2 95 PS ECO TSi has the 256 mm front discs and 230 mm rear discs like my old SE. So between 90 PS and 110 PS there are three brake variants!

Cheers for the info - the plot thickens though as I have discs all round on my connect 90 ps.

Could be because it's an ST?

Might just not bother with the spare at all and keep the weight down anyway now - don't think I'll buy another one especially if this isn't compatible in the end.

Feb 8, 2011
Cheers for the info - the plot thickens though as I have discs all round on my connect 90 ps.

Could be because it's an ST?

Might just not bother with the spare at all and keep the weight down anyway now - don't think I'll buy another one especially if this isn't compatible in the end.

I just looked again and there is no mention of the ST being any different! This wouldn't be the first time the brochure has been wrong though.

I wouldn't worry about the weight - I bet you'd never detect a difference in mpg.

Our other car is an MX-5 which has no spare wheel and the 150 litre boot would almost vanish if it did. I used to worry about it but I don't any more since it is years since I had a puncture and even then it was so slow I just pumped it up and drove home anyway.

If I was buying a new Ibiza I'm not sure if I'd spend the £100 on the spare wheel option though a bigger concern would be if the tyre repairers refused to repair a tyre that had the magic repair goo in it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So, to expand on what I mean by "ATE type looking" front callipers, they have a vertical wire spring link that is fitted into the calliper and its ends contact the calliper carrier, you should be able to see that if you have the bigger front brakes fitted to your car. For all smaller front brake options you should not see any vertical wire spring link, but be able to make out FS111 cast into the calliper body.

All cars with a "full sized - but space saver steel spare wheel", get supplied with a 14" wheel for smaller front brake options and a 15" wheel with bigger front brake options.

Edit:- the above covers only ordinary models, ie probably not Cupra.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise