Am I going mad - or is this a probem?

hc25036

Mar 13, 2015
I've posted already about rev hunting at low speeds in my 1.4 ACT 150 FR - where the revs rise to 2000rpm if you drop the clutch in slow traffic.

Now I've noticed that if driving at a steady speed on the flat or a decline and lift the accelerator the revs stay exactly the same for some time and then drop away incredibly slowly. On dropping the clutch, the revs fall instantly. On the flat the speed stays constant until I run out of patience or room!

This happens in all driving modes. Something wrong here, surely, or is it a 'feature'? I've driven 2.0 litre diesels for the past couple of decades so this may be normal behaviour for 1.4 petrol engines for all I know!

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
I think I know what u r referring to and I experience the same thing. It doesnt feel like an issue as if ther is something wrong but almost as if there is very little friction or engine breaking occuring at certain speeds in certain gears.....it kinda feels like u have the cruise control on for a few seconds upon lifting off the accelerator...is this what u mean?

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
when you dip the clutch in traffic have you allowed the engine to start struggling at all? ie is the engine at low revs, with no throttle moving the car, then you dip the clutch the resistance to the engine (moving the car) is removed and revs rise?

hc25036

Mar 13, 2015
I think I know what u r referring to and I experience the same thing. It doesnt feel like an issue as if ther is something wrong but almost as if there is very little friction or engine breaking occuring at certain speeds in certain gears.....it kinda feels like u have the cruise control on for a few seconds upon lifting off the accelerator...is this what u mean?

Hi Stevo -that's pretty much it! Tried it out on the flat this morning - at about 2300rpm in 4th on the flat it stayed there for for about 40 seconds (with no drop in speed) then rpms dropped very slowly over the next 15 seconds or so before I needed to intervene!

andycupra- it happens like this - about 1600 rpm to get the car moving and move a few feet, dip the clutch/lift the accelerator (same time) and the revs shoot up to 2000-2200rpm. No strain on the engine.

I'm sure the constant speed wasn't happening until recently as I'm sure I would have noticed the odd sensation of no engine braking....

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.