Spare Wheel

pooclah

Feb 14, 2016
Hi all

My Exeo has 225/45 R17 tyres fitted - standard I would guess, I’ve just noticed that the spare has a 205/55 R16. Is this normal?

Regards

Kevin

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Its not that fine! I had a very small bulge in my tyre wall and it was failed by the MOT inspection, I wanted to pick the car up and sort the tyre at the weekend so I said I would collect it and fit the spare, I was told I could not as it is a different size from the other tyres!

You were told wrong then, as its very common now to have the spare tyre as a space saver tyre, which is obviously a different size to the other tyres.

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
I think you have missed the point, its ok to fit to GET YOU HOME, other than that its a chocolate fireguard

Theres no need to shout. Yes its not perfect and only temporary, thats why they have a speed limit attached to them. But the garage was wrong to say you couldnt use your spare as you said you were taking it away to sort the tyre.

Mike1977

Feb 18, 2016
I'm sure I read in the owners manual that the spare tyre has the same rolling circumference as the 17 inch tyres and should make no difference, also as its not a space saver it's not a get you home tyre and limited to 50mph.

Mike1977

Feb 18, 2016
How many full size space savers have you seen or heard of? I've never heard of a full size space saver.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
I think this thread has muddled up two separate issues, being what will pass a MOT and what is actually fine to have as a spare for an emergency situation.

MOT wise, if you do anything other than same wheel sizes on same axle, then you are heading towards failing your MOT. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

There is an exception for emergency situations http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels.html

Personally, I'm on 18 inch alloys and have a full size 18 matching alloy as the spare. This lets me swap it over and give me a little bit of additional time to get the other tyre fixed. Also got a couple of cans of tyre weld and a digital inflator in the back for the missus as changing tyres by the side of the road ain't her thing.