Temp Gauge slow to respond

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
I know it's been cold recently, but over the Winter I've found my temerature gauge very slow to respond and reach 90 degrees. At times it will idle at around 75 degrees even for long journeys. I don't think I've noticed this before and it usually stays dead on 90 degrees. Is anything wrong or is this perfectly normal?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Could be ur oil temp sensor or the actual oil ur using, I've noticed over the years that different oils heat up slower that others, so temp guage goes up slower.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Mine did a similar thing and a new thermostat cured it.
Cheap to do yourself. Is yours a 20v?
It's a bit fidley but doable.

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I think there might be more access on the petrol engine as a few posters claimed to have changed their thermostat in 10 minutes using a flexible angle socket. I had to take the alternator off to get to mine and it ended up taking a couple of hours. I got the stat from GSF for about £6, but would recommend getting a genuine part if possible.

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
10min lol yeh with the engine totally out the car, prob and hour if you havnt done it before, 30min if you have.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
It's not that bad a job. You need to remove the black cover off the inlet manifold where the dip stick tube clips too which gives you the access required. Then you need a universal joint to get on the 2 bolts that hold the thermostat cover on. Get a new dip stick tube as they always snap they are cheap anyway.

pooley25

Leon Cupra R 225-260 '05
Aug 26, 2013
Cambridge
Had exactly the same thing on mine a few weeks back. Barely ever got up to 90, only if you idled for bit after a run. Generally sat at 75ish or less whilst driving.

Bought a Gates stat for £5. Took a couple of hours to fit, I found it impossible without moving the alternator to one side, even with all the tools I have! And the alternator although easy to remove, I found a pain in the !?,@* to get back in position again.

And like 747-727 said, get a new dipstick tube... Even after reading about all the dipstick breakages, and being as careful as possible... It still snapped on me lol :whistle:

Temp is perfect now, warms up quicker & doesn't budge from 90°c no matter how it's driven.

Good luck.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I struggled getting the alternator back in as well and then found out afterwards that you can stick it in a vice and the bolt lugs will push in, so the alternator fits in very easily. Then when you put the bolts through and tighten the bolts the lugs force themselves back out.