Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or not

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi guys

So I'm about to order a new 290 and I'm trying to decide if I should go for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or not...any thoughts? How are they in wet conditions?

Cheers

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi guys

So I'm about to order a new 290 and I'm trying to decide if I should go for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or not...any thoughts? How are they in wet conditions?

Cheers

Not the best in the wet but a very good dry tyre. Be fine for British roads. Just take care on the motorway in really wet conditions.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Test drove the 290 on the launch in Spain with it.

It's a fantastic tyre for the dry, but I am not so sure about inclement weather

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
Are you running the car as an everyday commuter or a weekend toy? I had Pilot Sport Cups on my track car and dry grip is great, but they verge on scary in the wet, and the wear rate isn't great (although obviously track use isn't directly comparable with road use).
If you are thinking of tracking the car, you could get these as standard then get a second set of wheels/tyres for regular use? Either winters or more of an all-rounder?

I wouldn't have them as an all year round/everyday tyre.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
My 290 came with continental sport contact 5 and I'm very happy with them. Haven't experienced any wheel hop or severe wheel spinning even in heavy rain and when giving it some. They give plenty of feedback in the wet and dry. I'd go as far as to say I prefer them to the Goodyear asymmetrical 2's I had on my previous car, and they were superb.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I have to say I wont be replacing mine with another set of cups and have gone to PSS. Not put them on yet, trying to melt the winters first but the cup2's are just a bit "too" hot/dry weather based for us in England I thought. Totally amazing beyond belief in the summer... could be a little scary when wet and/or cold. If it was just me driving my car I may have got another set, but I dont feel safe having anyone else drive especially with children in if I'm not there... and I dont think that is worth the risk imho.

Not to mention they dont come with a lot of tread from new :eek:

Think you did the right thing - can always change to PSS at a later date, i cant wait to compare the PSS to the cups.... come on warmer weather!

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
My 290 came with continental sport contact 5 and I'm very happy with them. Haven't experienced any wheel hop or severe wheel spinning even in heavy rain and when giving it some. They give plenty of feedback in the wet and dry. I'd go as far as to say I prefer them to the Goodyear asymmetrical 2's I had on my previous car, and they were superb.

I have these as well and can't fault them I dry or wet.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.