Cupra 290 Standard Nav vs Nav High

SprigganUK

Mar 10, 2016
Hi All,

New to the forum as I've been interested in the Leon Cupra but have a query that none of my local dealers can seem to answer with any confidence or correct information. So thought I would give it a try here as I see there's a lot of good information and advice from knowledgeable people here.

I've been trying to understand the difference between the standard navigation provided in the new Cupra 290 and the optional navigation high costing another £680.

I've managed to gather the standard cupra 290 navigation has:

Media System Plus (includes Easy Connect system) / 6.5" colour touchscreen with proximity sensor
/ Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) digital radio

Navigation System (includes media system plus)
/ 3D map display
/ High resolution colour driver’s display
/ Satellite navigation with dynamic route guidance / SD card slot
/ Full Link comes standard on Cupra 290

While the Navigation High has:
Super high resolution 6.5" colour touchscreen
Dynamic route guidance with 3D map display and 3D emblematic buildings
Voice control
SMS messaging
10gb Jukebox
Picture and video viewer

I've got questions such as
1) Is "high resolution colour drivers display" and "6.5" colour touchscreen" the same as "Super high resolution 6.5" colour touchscreen"?
2) Are the Navigation systems/software the same?
3) Do SD card slots matter as it appear the nav high has one?

So just trying to work out what the £680 covers and whether it's worth it from my perspective.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
The high is faster than the normal although the normal version was updated last year so it's not as slow as the old 2013 version.

With the high the map data is stored on the hard drive in the system rather than an SD card, not sure if the map data is provided by another company or not

I believe the high also includes full link so you can connect either an iPhone or Android phone to the system. I believe the normal version this is a separate extra.

The high I believe has a slightly higher resolution screen than the normal, but again the normal was upgraded last year so the difference isn't as great as it was.

Personally I'd take the high, then again I'm still waiting for the facelift model!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
I went for sub 8 pack so you cant have high level sat nav.
Low level works just fine for me.

SprigganUK

Mar 10, 2016
The high is faster than the normal although the normal version was updated last year so it's not as slow as the old 2013 version.

With the high the map data is stored on the hard drive in the system rather than an SD card, not sure if the map data is provided by another company or not

I believe the high also includes full link so you can connect either an iPhone or Android phone to the system. I believe the normal version this is a separate extra.

The high I believe has a slightly higher resolution screen than the normal, but again the normal was upgraded last year so the difference isn't as great as it was.

Personally I'd take the high, then again I'm still waiting for the facelift model!

For the Cupra 290, Full Link comes standard as well.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I have std navigation in my 280 and found it to be more than adequate. I also have seat sound so not sure if that makes a difference. I dont have full link.

alper

Feb 28, 2016
Trying to figure out what's best for me in Sweden so please bare with me on this one as there's currently three options, little different than in the UK:

1) Stay with the standard Media System Plus coming with a 6,5" screen of unknown? resolution

2) Upgrade to Navi System: 6,5" colour touch screen (probably better resolution) including 3d Nav, full BT, Voice control and Mapcare 2 for 2 years. Cost: ~670 GBP

3) Upgrade to Navi System Plus/High: Same as (2), screen seems to be the same and what you get more is: 10GB hdd and Seat Full Link. Cost: ~ 1179 GBP!

The trick here is that SEAT Sweden is offering SEAT Full link as a completely separate option for an extra 120 GBP so, and correct me if I'm wrong, If I understand it correctly:

By combining Nav System standard - Option no.2 and the extra SEAT full link option and you basically have the full Nav High system minus the 10GB hdd? That means you pay almost 400 GBP for a 10GB HDD? That's insane.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Get the media system + as per the Ibiza we just got and the full link option.
You can use Android Auto app on the screen when plugged into the phone and you can use Google Maps.
Free Sat Nav :D

Last edited:

alper

Feb 28, 2016
Get the media system + as per the Ibiza we just got and the full link option.
You can use Android Auto app on the screen when plugged into the phone and you can use Google Maps.
Free Sat Nav :D

I thought of that as well. Car navigation systems are usually much worse than any decent smartphone-based product but a few things keeping me are:

1) Does Nav System offer a better screen than Media System? Details are a bit obscure but if it does, it means that apart from the Nav function I am getting a better screen that will be there for a number of other uses.

2) Integrated Nav system works all across Europe without needing to use Roaming data for Google Maps. I also don't want to buy any 3rd party off-line GPS apps for my smartphone.

3) It is an independent solution. No need to worry about battery draining in an hour or egg-frying temps due to charging, communicating with satellites and downloading massive amounts of data at the same time.

I've used my smartphone as a GPS for years, it will get the job done, it's just not as an elegant and convenient solution as the integrated sat nav and at the price it's offered I think it's worth it. What sounds silly is the extra 500 quid for a tiny HDD and the Full Link that you can spec separately.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Not sure on the screen size and quality but the phone will charge from the USB port and the maps can be saved offline on Google Maps.
You could prob run an external HDD off the USB anyway if you wanted music storage but then just buy a cheap SD card for the phone 128GB can be had for £30 and run that via Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members