New Ibiza EcoTSI 150PS vs TDI 105PS Fuel Economy - Real World Help Please!

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Exactly the 1.4 ecotsi is 0-60 in 7.6 secs compared to the 9.9 in the diesel - the petrol has the same torque as the diesel too.

The petrol is whisper quiet as well - diesel not so much.

I'm happy to trade off fuel consumption against performance - depends what you want I guess.

I'd say economy is the primary driver, but when covering this many miles it also needs to be comfortable and perform well. The Mini Cooper D did 0-60 in 9.7, so in reality the TDI isn't much different.

No-one seems to own a 1.4 3 cylinder TDI 105 so it's hard to know how good the economy really is, and whether the difference is really significant enough to persuade us to go TDI over ACT!

Tylerjet

Jul 1, 2013
Groningen, North Holland
I can only say what I'm averaging in litres and kilometres if that helps ?
I've had the car 3 days done 350 km and been giving it some right stick and still averaging 15 km per litre that's roughly 1 litre per 10 miles but once I start taking it easier I'm guessing it will do 1 litre per 18 - 20 kilometres roughly 1 litre per 14 miles.
f2f5427599899785a97261c9a8503641.jpg

47fe8bbc872b243a88ec6ebad4da35f2.jpg

82f292084badd47cbc4d351ab58bda77.jpg

Last edited:

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Mixed I guess. No need to run in nowadays really.

Accepting that running in instructions have become less prescriptive over the years, what do Seat actually recommend? I still run in cars over a couple of thousand miles, but I'm not convinced it's really necessary. Old habits die hard.

MattH345

Mar 7, 2016
Accepting that running in instructions have become less prescriptive over the years, what do Seat actually recommend? I still run in cars over a couple of thousand miles, but I'm not convinced it's really necessary. Old habits die hard.

Dealer told me no run in was required really. Just obviously no bouncing off the limiter!

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Dealer told me no run in was required really. Just obviously no bouncing off the limiter!

Being unable to find a download of the Ibiza manual, I went to the VW Polo site. This is what it said:

"
Running in a new engine

Any new engine has to be run in during the first 1,500 kilometres. During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down.

The style of driving during the first 1,500 kilometres will also affect the engine quality. Even after this time – and especially with a cold engine – drive the vehicle at moderate speeds in order to reduce engine wear and to increase the mileage that the engine can cover. Do not drive at engine speeds that are too low. Always shift down gear if the engine is not running smoothly. The following applies up to 1,000 kilometres:

Do not depress the accelerator fully.

Do not drive the vehicle at more than 2/3 of the top engine speed.

If your vehicle has been approved for towing a trailer: do not travel with a trailer.

From 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres, gradually increase driving performance to top speed and highest engine speed.

"

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Being unable to find a download of the Ibiza manual, I went to the VW Polo site. This is what it said:

"

Running in a new engine

Any new engine has to be run in during the first 1,500 kilometres. During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down.

The style of driving during the first 1,500 kilometres will also affect the engine quality. Even after this time – and especially with a cold engine – drive the vehicle at moderate speeds in order to reduce engine wear and to increase the mileage that the engine can cover. Do not drive at engine speeds that are too low. Always shift down gear if the engine is not running smoothly. The following applies up to 1,000 kilometres:

If your vehicle has been approved for towing a trailer: do not travel with a trailer.

From 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres, gradually increase driving performance to top speed and highest engine speed.

"

My dad just purchased a 1.4 EcoTsi Leon FR - he is sticking to the above process. I don't think I will be able to stick to it though - given mine is a lease car makes it even less likely.

MattH345

Mar 7, 2016

"
Running in a new engine

"

Well the warming up sounds like good advice anyway, used to doing that from my corsa as was worried about getting the famous P4 failure. Haven't driven at more than 2/3 engine speed anyway i wouldn't have thought and don't own a trailer! Foot has been to the floor a few time though!

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Think we're going TDI, we need more than low-mid 40's so despite the economy being good from the ACT, it's not quite good enough for our 22K miles p/a.

Many thanks for everyone's help!

Munchkin

Munchkin
Jan 8, 2012
Just saw this. I have 2013 1.6 TDI 105, 20k yr mostly A roads. 550 miles a tank, mid 50s mpg. Keeping up with traffic speed.

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

alijay036

Oct 15, 2011
Hertfordshire
In the 4 months I have had my 1.4 ACT (150) FR my fuel consumption has been between 46.8Mpg and 48.9Mpg

Considering my 1.2 TDI Eco was doing between 54.7Mpg and 60Mpg I am quite happy with these figures.

ben

Nov 26, 2015
Hey! Don't know if you've ordered a car yet but I got mine about 10 days ago. MPG averages at 40mpg for me! That is when driving through quiet(ish) 30mph/40mph roads and while running on the motorway.

Around busy towns I get something more like 30mpg when your stuck in traffic for most of the journey.

Cruise control is a decent way to get yourself a better economy. It makes sure you maintain at a constant speed and your not over accelerating to rebound for any drop in speed :)

I'm happy with the car overall as well. A bit of an upgrade from 1.0 Peugeot 107, which spent most of its life in 4th on the M62!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members