Annoying Sat Nav voice instructions

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Like maybe some other Sat Nav users I find the voice directions from the Seat Sat Nav extremely annoying. Maybe I am a grumpy old man but I dont need every 'turn' instruction to be preceded by a please followed by a thank you etc etc, I just want a brief 'take the first turn off the next roundabout' instruction. I have this feeling that when I bought the car I saw somewhere in the Sat Nav menus an option to choose a simple instruction rather than the over-polite version, but try as I might I cannot find it now. Can anyone tell me if I am imagining this or does a simple option exist?
If it does not I might have to go back to my old TomTom which reacts faster to conditions and with more clarity in every way. Other than that the car is great.

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
You're a grumpy old man.

The SEAT brand, being youthful is setting standards by teaching the youth of today proper manners...

I'm with you on this, also being grumpy, I dont want to miss my turn because of the "please delay".

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I'm sure there's an option in the SatNav to switch between detailed and simple guidance.

I've considered it especially when driving through Milton Keynes "at the next roundabout take the third exit on to such and such street" "now take the third exit" "in 300 yards take the second exit on to other street" "now take the second exit" "in 500 yards..." infuriating!

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Well I was sure I saw the option between simple and complex instructions but I cannot find it now despite trying all the menus. I'm beginning to think I've imagined it? If anyone knows whether this option exists I would be very grateful.

Zenzic

Mar 20, 2016
I can confirm the option exists somewhere. I believe I saw it after pressing the "Menu" button next to the media screen and then scrolling through the general options section.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I might have suggested searching the online manual but the link in the mk3 FAQ section isn't working ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zenzic

Mar 20, 2016
Just checked in my car. "Menu" button > "Setup" menu > Voice Control. The first setting there lets me choose between long or short dialogue.

Highlander

Mar 16, 2016
I had the "Bonnie Tyler" option for the SatNav voice on a previous car. It was bl**dy awful! It kept telling me to turn around, and every now and then it fell apart! In the end, I was lost in France.

..... I'll get me coat.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I had the "Bonnie Tyler" option for the SatNav voice on a previous car. It was bl**dy awful! It kept telling me to turn around, and every now and then it fell apart! In the end, I was lost in France.

..... I'll get me coat.

You won the internet..... if it existed in the 80s.....

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Can I ask about the Sat Nav system......Why can't I input a UK Postcode in to the search when looking for a place to get to? I can put other details in but not the postcode, just the road, and if its a BIG, LONG road the sat nav doesn't really get me there does it without a postcde!! Or am I missing something?

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Why would you need to??

TBH, If looking for a residential address, I find it more accurate to put in the road name / number.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It doesn't seem to have the facility to enter the postcode AND the street name/number - or am I missing something?

Mine let's me put in the post code and the number, but always says no street name can be found for this post code, it always seems to get me to the correct place

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Mine let's me put in the post code and the number, but always says no street name can be found for this post code, it always seems to get me to the correct place

This is down to the translation of the system from Europe to England. In Spain certainly, their equivalent of the Post Code is the code for the town. So whereas we will have a specific post code for one part of one side of one road, or even one building, in Spain it is a code for a whole town. So the system is built whereby instead of typing in the towns name, you can type in the code for it. Then you would get a list of road names to choose from and then house numbers from there. In England, you would have the postcode and then just the house number afterwards. But as they haven't changed the system to manage the data in this way, it just defaults that there is not a list of roads to choose from in the postcode and leaves it as that.

I am sure it wouldn't have been a major reprogramming to cope with it, but I guess it is another example of cost saving that helps keep the overall price of the car low.

Happy Ant

Jun 9, 2023
Thanks but I have gone through all the settings and cannot find the male/female option
Are you saying the language option for the car or just the sat nav system?
As there is no language option on any of the sat nav settings

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks but I have gone through all the settings and cannot find the male/female option
Are you saying the language option for the car or just the sat nav system?
As there is no language option on any of the sat nav settings
Main screen - settings - language
Look in the top left of the screen with the list of languages - button that says "VOICE"
click it - options are male/female