Seat Leon FR TDI - onvi yellow 4wd project (the beast that is no longer TDI)

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
Getting the s3 floor in place and welded up
it was at this point that I messaged grahams81 who has also done the 4 wheel drive project for some general advice, I took an inspiration to his project and thought right I'm doing that but just with a different style, little did we realise we lived so close next to each other he ended up coming straight over to have a look and ended up pointing me in the right direction, as well as giving me some help for the day which was brilliant, we've ended up really good mates since then staying in touch and keeping each other up to date, its nice to know good friends can also become of a good project, for any one keeping up to date with his project I'm sure now you can maybe guess where its going ;)...that will be a new project page completely ;)

So I got all the floor in place and filled in a few spot welds to hold it all in place, the best part is I've never really welded before:lol: I was going to pay someone to weld it in but I thought nah its my project and ill do the lot, so I went about buying a decent welder and the metal that came out of the car to start with I used to practice on, when I was confident I then set about welding the s3 floor in, I picked it up fairly fast to be honest which was good, I'd say I'm pritty decent at it now :)

Last edited:

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
Sorry for all these updates and chunks of pictures :lol: I'm just trying to update you all as best I can, anyway in order to get the s3 floor in place I had to cut away all the back panel, I couldn't get the car up high enough and didn't want to cut any of the s3 floor in anyway, I ended up cutting each coner out and just bending the rest of the middle bit back slightly here some pictures of it from the start and the finished product

That was it cut then once I had the floor held in place I then decided to put the back pannel back on and start making things look tidy.

Back pannel finished I did after underseal it all as well just to give it more protection, I managed to get the original bolt holes that the rear slam pannel bolts to on the leon back pannel to still be able to use to refit it, I also managed to line them up with the chasis rails of the new s3 floor which allowed me to also weld it all up from the back and make it alot more stronger

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
Next I went about seam welding all the outside of the car aswell to make it stronger and to work with all of the spot welds I'd filled back in on the inside of the car, once I'd done all that I was that happy with the result of the back panel I thought well I want all the underside of the car looking smooth too, so I went about making all the seam welds look tidy, then got to work on stripping the underside of the car to completely bare metal taking off all the original seamsealer to replace with new and then to underseal the whole car completely, seems a pointless task to be fair, in a sense it was:lol: however it was more my own self pride, it allowed me to then make plates underneath to strengthen areas and to also see if there was any rust anywhere...thankfully there wasn't a spot of rust anywhere so that made me happy, here's a few of the car completely stripped underneath front to back to bare metal this took a good 4 weeks to do and I'd say about 30 angle grinder wire brush wheels:lol:

So after I'd done all that it was time to seamsealer all of the pannels were it was pannel meets pannel, before all this I gave the underside a complete coat of anti rust etching primer, then gave the underside a complete coat of underbody stone chip I gave it all about 2 to 3 coats as I wanted it to give plenty of protection.

Carl_PTFR

Mar 26, 2013
Teeside - Thornaby
This is how the car stands at the moment... I decided not to go ahead with the tdi engine and drop in something different however that's a supprise only one person knows what's being dropped in there ;)

kiemcd

Mar 12, 2016
Wow awesome project mate, lot of work going into it and as said above doing it all without a garage environment must take some patience, keeping my eye on this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yellow fr
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.