Share your experience of Android-Auto, Apple Carplay, Mirrorlink

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
I would agree with the AA comments, it's a bit pants at the moment. I didn't realise my HTC M8S didn't run Mirror Link until my iPod classic hard drive died and I had to use my phone

My M8 works via MirrorLink so would be surprised if they removed it on the M8SS. May need to check your USB network settings to make sure it's turned on.

Also I've found if you connect once through AA it overrides the MirrorLink option even if you set that as the preferred connection method on the HU.

Managed to do a whole journey (5 songs) without Google Play Music crashing which is a record, think there was a bunch of updates the other night which may have helped. Crashed on the way back though so still work to do.

Also used the WhatsApp integration to read and reply with voice, again worked on the first message but later on wouldn't read another one later on.

Last edited:

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Well, I assume my LG G3 doesn't support the MirrorLink and i already probably overidden it with AA.

AA is very nice and fluid (didn't get stuck on me yet), i am starting to get used to the navigation with google maps although still missing a lot of features on Waze (mainly police / accidents reports :)).

@gshaw, from your personal preference, would you prefer MirrorLink over AA?

richardtank

Sep 19, 2009
I really like Android Auto. Although I've just started getting a problem with my Spotify. It all appears to be working fine, it just doesn't make any sound. Whilst it's "not making sound" you can't change the volume either, it's as if the car. Really weird bug. I think I might end up having to reset my phone but I'm still holding out hope that it'll just "fix it's self".

alijay036

Oct 15, 2011
Hertfordshire
I am getting confused with this, I was under the impression that Android Auto (AA) was a standalone app, which would work when connected. But reading some of the threads on here, it sounds like you need full link activated before AA will work, is this right? The reason why I ask is my New Ibiza has the media plus with Navigation, but not full link (this can be activated at a later date) as I was certain AA didn't need it. What I am getting is when connecting phone the HU says 'scanning USB device' this messages disappears and then nothing, apparently AA is supposed to be installed on the HU and show on the menu, but it doesn't. The phone on the AA splash screen just says connect phone to your car, which it already is, connection over BT is fine, streams from play music and can make and take calls, so you can see why I am confused, any info appreciated.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
alijay036

Full link is the collective term that is Android Auto, Mirrorlink and Apple Car Play all under one name. If you don't have Full Link you don't have these. All or none.

You then need a compatible phone and then Apps as required.

It used to be just Mirror Link on what was called Nav High unit which I have, upgradeable to Full link apparently.

Other Vag cars ie Audi call Full Link by a slightly different name.

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
I can add and suggest upon personal experience that you can try disabling bt wheb trying to activate AA as it caused me some issues when on.

Sent from my LG-H960 using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Had it confirmed by SEAT via my dealer request that my NavHigh Mirrorlink unit cannot be updated to Full Link.
It has to be a MY2016 car (week 22 of 2015) onwards. So although I was originally tipped of that MIBII units should be updatable it still goes by date too.

Here is a newer PDF of the compatibility for Full Link

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.seat.dk/globalassets/global/service/pdf/full-link_compatibilidad_smartphones_en_04.11.2015.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjT3cfyl6XKAhUGZw8KHZULBj0QFggcMAE&usg=AFQjCNGRLaq5-E4qivV64pyV8PL1hlgKrw&sig2=2knleg_YRksSsiiFnzoRRg

alijay036

Oct 15, 2011
Hertfordshire
Is anyone else trying to run Seat drive app on an android 6.0 phone, trying to download it from google play and says its not compatible with device.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Is anyone else trying to run Seat drive app on an android 6.0 phone, trying to download it from google play and says its not compatible with device.

Both apps run on my M8 with Android 6.0

Still having to run reset on the HU Full Link and Android Auto app to get a successful connection as the damn thing keeps picking MirrorLink instead. Need a software update to set one or the other and disable the unused technology as having "Preferred" really doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Isn't M8 pure Android? As in no manufacturer bloatware? I think that could be the issue.

It's not Google Play Edition so has HTC Sense, which is still the best add-on UI of any of the Android manufacturers imo. No network blisters on my device though, declined any branding updated they've tried to push down.

What device do you have?

Last edited:

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Hi Guys,

I just switched to a new phone, the LG - V10, and since then i can't seem to connect to AA.

Anyone got any idea? (i'll try to re-install the app / reset the multimedia settings to factory later on today).

page3

Dec 25, 2015
Apple CarPlay running really well, and chomping through data at a rapid rate of knots when using Apple Music. Prefer Apple Maps to the built in sat nav and Siri isn't too alloying.

Would like to see a Qobuz App, as prefer this to Apple Music.

I'd also like to see CarPlay continue to be developed as it has some rough edges. Generally though I'm happy as it works reliably and required little set-up.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
AA working quite well here, slow to connect a couple of times, lost music a couple of times too. But that may have been reception issues. Otherwise Maps justifies not paying $850 for Nav alone.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.