New K04 Hybrid, AET K04-380 - Does 402bhp on dyno

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
We have been working with AET turbos to come up with another K04-023 hybrid.
On minimal dyno time, we have seen 402bhp/336lbft torque on our dyno on our test lupo (aum engined car)

More info in our section here>> http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4647808#post4647808

A picture of the unit
aet-k04-380-2.JPG

The snapshot of power
aet-k04-380-23psi-402bhp-dynoplot.JPG

Previously on another make of hybrid we already made a very healthy, rarely matched or beaten output of 372bhp... We have gained 30bhp on this with the new spec unit. Very happy.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Good work Bill, great to see you developing the 1.8t further. Been reading good things about Aet turbo's.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Good work Bill, great to see you developing the 1.8t further. Been reading good things about Aet turbo's.

Many folks may not have heard of them, but if your as old and been doing it as long as I have been, you would be aware of them and their abilities.. 1973 they've been doing turbos since. Newbies they are not.

What they wanted was to partner with a vag tuner and I wanted to partner with a reliable vendor.. So we have been chatting hybrids for several months.. K03 hybrids, K04 hybrids, TFSi hybrids.. etc

This latest K04-023 unit which has been named the K04-380 pitched as a 380bhp unit, the clues in the name, is the largest unit tried by me/us and the results were very pleasing.

So where folks want a 300bhp K03, AET have a K03-300 unit, and K04 hybrid we have the latest one the K04-380, but there is a smaller one which is a k04-350 unit (smaller compressor wheel)

Folks have a choice. The units are built and matched to our Gen2 Chinafolds, so the 47mm ported inlet matches exactly to our templates. The devils in the detail. the K04-380 unit is also designed to go directly with our V2.2 80mm TIP, so just the silicon part is required as the billet is part of the turbo.

If someone was to ask me 5 years ago was this possible I would say, no chance.. There are others who dispute the outcomes with all manner of excuses, but facts and measured data says what it says.

The facts remain the previous already bench mark 372bhp the lupo test car managed on its previous hybrid, has been surpassed by another 30bhp... 30bhp gain over what was previously the best power hybrid anyhow.. Whichever way its looked at those gains are real, logged, measured... and Factual.

Prices TBC shortly.. so folks can have an informed choice of what is what.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
I suspect it's gonna be above any budget I have but am genuinely interested in prices bill.

Couple of questions though, on a car with 'typical' stage 2 mods, exhaust, intake, intercooler what else would be needed to run one of these, not necessarily for maximum power but to still run it well? Obviously rods but what else?

Also, is there any chance your manifold will ever be available separately?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I suspect it's gonna be above any budget I have but am genuinely interested in prices bill.

Couple of questions though, on a car with 'typical' stage 2 mods, exhaust, intake, intercooler what else would be needed to run one of these, not necessarily for maximum power but to still run it well? Obviously rods but what else?

Also, is there any chance your manifold will ever be available separately?

My V2.2 TIP, 550cc injectors, highflow fuel pump upgrade, + map to suit

Lupo is boggo AUM engine just rodded.

and no, I dont intend retailing the manifolds seperately.. The demand is too high for what I would ever be able to process. If I could get the bloody factory to make them to my spec, happy days, but dealing with them has proved nigh on impossible.
The V4's are sadly cracking now in significant qtys.. Lasted longer than any other of their versions tho. I wish I could reliably get the Chinafolds, so folks had a reliable option.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Badger5 AET/K04-380 Hybrid Turbo Package. Comprises Gen2 Chinafold, AET K04-380 turbo (exchange), Badger5 V2.2 TIP (silicon only as billet is part of turbo) - Note: Manifold is NOT available separately. £1337.50 +vat Package. Non turbo exchange price is +£200+vat

Couple of these going onto builds so quick opportunity for a "kodak" moment.

b5-k04-380-kit_1.JPG

nonamed

Aug 11, 2016
Tempting. Are there already any other builds with this turbo? I wonder how it is reliable? and this manifold?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
manifold extremely reliable.... bar none
several builds.. no drama's

Built by a very reputable turbo company at the end of the day. AET.
I have no complaints... they're a top company to deal with

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.