Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or not

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I have decided against them, thanks guys. Ordering the Performance Pack without Cup 2.

I ordered my 290 last month and came to the same decision to take the sub 8 pack without the cup 2 as they just seem to be a little too compromised. Also, the cups 2s aren't £115/tyre more than the standard REO50A or the Contis you get so not worth the £460 option price in my opinion.

Out of interest, what was the wait time you were given for your car? I went for a Cupra 290 5dr Sub 8 and bucket seats and I was told 18 weeks. I received a call from the dealer last week to tell me that I would now be receiving a Black edition car as you have to order a Black edition to get the sub 8 pack now? It hasn't changed the price or the spec of car I ordered in any way from what I can tell. Anyone got more information on the Black edition?

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
I ordered my 290 last month and came to the same decision to take the sub 8 pack without the cup 2 as they just seem to be a little too compromised. Also, the cups 2s aren't £115/tyre more than the standard REO50A or the Contis you get so not worth the £460 option price in my opinion.

Out of interest, what was the wait time you were given for your car? I went for a Cupra 290 5dr Sub 8 and bucket seats and I was told 18 weeks. I received a call from the dealer last week to tell me that I would now be receiving a Black edition car as you have to order a Black edition to get the sub 8 pack now? It hasn't changed the price or the spec of car I ordered in any way from what I can tell. Anyone got more information on the Black edition?

I ordered the car 2 weeks ago and was told that they will start building it 10th April so 10 weeks for me. Performance Pack is Black edition, that's what I have. I went for ALL the trimmings! (not sun-roof or cup 2 tyres).

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I ordered the car 2 weeks ago and was told that they will start building it 10th April so 10 weeks for me. Performance Pack is Black edition, that's what I have. I went for ALL the trimmings! (not sun-roof or cup 2 tyres).

Yes, I ordered the performance pack with the black line rather than orange as well. But there's apparently a Black Edition model that's being introduced to celebrate 20 years of the SEAT Cupra that's more expensive that the standard 290. From what I can tell though, it just includes the black line pack, bucket seats and the sub 8 wheels. I was told you have to order this now to get the full sub 8 with the aero additions and brembos. It doesn't make a difference to what I ordered as I'd already speccd the buckets. I just wondered if anyone else who's ordered one has heard any more info about this black edition as I can only find one web page about it at the moment and the dealer knew next to nothing other than that's what I was now getting.

Also, you're 10 week time sounds more like what other dealers told me before I placed the order with the cheapest dealer. The 18 weeks I've been quoted seems a lot longer than everyone else.

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Yes, I ordered the performance pack with the black line rather than orange as well. But there's apparently a Black Edition model that's being introduced to celebrate 20 years of the SEAT Cupra that's more expensive that the standard 290. From what I can tell though, it just includes the black line pack, bucket seats and the sub 8 wheels. I was told you have to order this now to get the full sub 8 with the aero additions and brembos. It doesn't make a difference to what I ordered as I'd already speccd the buckets. I just wondered if anyone else who's ordered one has heard any more info about this black edition as I can only find one web page about it at the moment and the dealer knew next to nothing other than that's what I was now getting.

Also, you're 10 week time sounds more like what other dealers told me before I placed the order with the cheapest dealer. The 18 weeks I've been quoted seems a lot longer than everyone else.

You might end up getting in earlier.

alper

Feb 28, 2016
Just how bad are they in the wet though? I dry very sensibly under such conditions so I don't need sports/racing performance from any tyre in the wet, just the average expected response on braking and turning that I would ask from any mid-class tyre. Are people saying that the PSC2 can't even get there?

I went with Federal 595 RS-R (semi-slick) on my Fabia vRS for track days and as much as I was worried about wet performance, they are stopping much better than the Nexen winters I put on from November to April. Very good on a wet track also. I would be surprised to see the Michelins perform worse.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
The problem with the PSC2 on the road is similar to that of a F1 car (getting them into the operating temp) and in the wet near impossible, on a track they are great but for roadwork the PSS are the tyres to have on a Cupra.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
So I ran them all summer till I got a flat, and have just replaced 2 with PSS instead. I gotta say, I dont think I'd go back to the PSC2 unless it was mainly used on track, the wet weather grip is insane compared to the cups, in fact compared to a lot of tires I've tried.

While progressive, the cups will just let go in the wet, especially on corners when cold. With a FWD car the rears are almost always too cold in non-summer conditions to get upto where they might be any use in the wet... i had mine let go with the rear just the other night on a roundabout.

Personally.... I would get the PSS instead, they are just easier to live with day to day, warm up much faster, will last longer, better in the wet and about 90% as good when full on driving like a loon in hot conditions compared to the cups.... just not really worth the extra 10% in the dry for the 90% loss everywhere else. On the road I just dont think you will get enough benefit out of them over the PSS to make it worth your while.

Last edited:

alper

Feb 28, 2016
So I ran them all summer till I got a flat, and have just replaced 2 with PSS instead. I gotta say, I dont think I'd go back to the PSC2 unless it was mainly used on track, the wet weather grip is insane compared to the cups, in fact compared to a lot of tires I've tried.

While progressive, the cups will just let go in the wet, especially on corners when cold. With a FWD car the rears are almost always too cold in non-summer conditions to get upto where they might be any use in the wet... i had mine let go with the rear just the other night on a roundabout.

Personally.... I would get the PSS instead, they are just easier to live with day to day, warm up much faster, will last longer, better in the wet and about 90% as good when full on driving like a loon in hot conditions compared to the cups.... just not really worth the extra 10% in the dry for the 90% loss everywhere else. On the road I just dont think you will get enough benefit out of them over the PSS to make it worth your while.

Well by what you (and others) say, I would definitely order the car with the PSS if I was given the option, and sure will put them on when change time comes. But since the PSS are not offered, it's either PSC2 or crappy Bridgestones. In that case I might consider the Michelins (and pay an extra 400) unless I get info that current models come with a different tyre than Bridgestones.

Porker3

May 17, 2015
Just changed the Bridgestones today for a front set of PSS. Wheel hop appears to be eradicated. They will still break traction when the torque peaks but no hop. Ive kept the Bridgestones to put back on when the car comes to its end and needs trading in.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise