new cam cost effective on high mile pd150?

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
Hi Guys

Your Thoughts. My leon cupra 2004 pd150 ARL has finally fallen.
Its a high mileage motorway mile muncher I've used for daily 80 mile commute for the last 5 years. currently on 267k miles and until last week was running strong and only affecting me in normal wear and tear maintenance and on a 10k oil changes for last 100k

symptoms of cam failure last week so off to local garage and he has confirmed cam , lifters/buckets and shell bearings all worn, needs four new glow plugs, cam belt kit and oil and filters.

So all in he wants £700:cry:
Q: is it worth it for such a high mileage 2004 car thats probably worth max 1300 to 1500?
or collate cheaper parts like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140966233895?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT your thoughts on this kit.
and get a local guy to fit would bring down to about £520

or bolt it back together and drive it in as a part ex somewhere on a newer motor

D.

Last edited:

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
It is a good price Bruce, unsure if its worth it against the the value of the car though..

or there is the second option of gathering the parts myself and going with the local spanner monkey

hhhmmmm decisions, decisions

D.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I was in the same position about 18 months ago when my gearbox needed reconditioning and I was getting quotes of £1200. I was going to bin the car and get a newer car, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to keep it.
My thought's were if I got a replacement car there is no guarantee it will be reliable and I wouldn't know the common faults or have the knowledge to repair them (This forum is pretty awesome for repair info) the depricaiation of whatever newer car I bought would also be far more than the cost of putting right anything that went wrong on my current car.

I guess you have to also look at what you have replaced on your car and what it would cost to replace anything expensive that might go like the clutch, turbo or gearbox.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
All I'm saying is that if you are intending using the car for more motorway munching, then it would be my choice to go for it
The cost of cambelt kit change is about £300, glow plug change is about £200 - £300, etc etc

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
^ you'd need to find a good one though with proof of the cam change...

i'd say repair it, bolt on a hybrid whilst you're there :lol:

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
I'd still go with fixing it, for the cost £700 are you going to be able to replace the car with something else as good and how much extra would that cost you?

This is where I would adopt ManMaths.

My friend had his gear box go on his 1.8T Cupra and it cost £1500 to sort out, it basically writing the car off, but if you like the car then why not.

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
Alot of good opinions lads cheers. Well I'm off for a week now to sort out whatever I choose to do

D.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
well good news, a mechanic friend of my dad owes him a few favours so hes gonna get the parts needed as he will get trade discount and do it all for £300.
That my friends I cant argue with and the Cupra will live on. getting done sometime next week.

D.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
That's a great price for that work and parts.

The value of repairing it always reaches a breaking point but once you've had a car for long you get to know all the work done on it. That can rarely be said for any you'd buy, normally you get someone else's problem.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Great price - just ensure the parts are good as even with trade price it seems too cheap.

I paid £800 last year for the same work, cam, lifters, water pump, belt + fluids.

Car has run without a hitch since and I think it was well worth the money as I will be keeping it.

Mine was on around 100k miles less than yours

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.