Cupra 280 - Faint Smoke Trail / Rev Hunting

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
Hi guys,

New to the forums so hello to everyone that reads this :)

Just wanted to get a second opinion on something... I own a Leon Cupra 280 DSG, 9,000 miles on the clock and I've noticed recently that if I put my foot down and use the kick down feature, if I look in my rear view mirror I can see a faint trail of smoke behind me? Is that normal? Am I imagining things? Could it just be the exhausts blowing stuff up from the road surface, dust etc? Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

Also, I've found that sometimes when I'm driving and I come to a stop or slow down, to nearly a stop, the revs seem to go up a little bit to maybe 1.5k, and then drop down again to 800 rpm - Is that normal? Anyone else experience the same in their car?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi,
Mine doesn't do that, although I've experienced the Rev issues you described - but on various turbo cars not on the seat- one was a small air leak and another time it was the idle control valve.

As for your smoke, can you tell what colour the smoke is, that would help people narrow down what it might be.

Have you tried getting someone to rev it whilst stationary, so you can go to the back and see if it's smoking whilst being reved but not under load

Have you had it from new, or have you just bought it, do you know the history? has anyone played at tuning it or dicked around with it ?

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
Hi,
Mine doesn't do that, although I've experienced the Rev issues you described - but on various turbo cars not on the seat- one was a small air leak and another time it was the idle control valve.

As for your smoke, can you tell what colour the smoke is, that would help people narrow down what it might be.

Have you tried getting someone to rev it whilst stationary, so you can go to the back and see if it's smoking whilst being reved but not under load

Have you had it from new, or have you just bought it, do you know the history? has anyone played at tuning it or dicked around with it ?

As far as i'm aware, there is no smoke when driving normally or at a stand still and revving. I've never seen any smoke on start up and having recently had the silencers removed from my exhaust, have had people rev my car for me and haven't seen anything. I've only ever noticed it, if I use the 'kick down', so it drops a few gears and then i'm flying haha.

I've had the car for 6 months now, I purchased it on 3,600 miles, was completely standard and one lady driver (wife of the owner of the seat garage I bought it from "supposedly"). Since I've owned it, I've added a VWRacing Panel filter and had the silencers cut out the exhaust (I DID notice the smoke before the exhaust work was completed).

It's hard to see what colour the smoke is, as it really is quite a faint trail - it's not plumes of thick black smoke - just a bit of maybe grey/white, I can try and get a video if that would help.

Any ideas? :)

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It sounds pretty minor smoke, I'd probably just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worst.
Noticed you said it did it before you fitted the exhaust, what about the air filter ?did you notice it before you fitted the filter, whilst probably unlikely to cause the smoke issue, unless it's been ridiculously over oiled, but they can sometimes contaminate the airflow sensor causing the ecu to receive an inaccurate reading, that can sometimes cause tick over issues as the car attempts to compensate and get the revs to the correct range.
If it was me, I'd try a standard air filter for a week or two, and see if that makes a difference, maybe even clean the sensor, you can buy a can of stuff to clean it.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
No smoking or hunting from mine either, at 17000 miles and 18 months old.

Have you checked the oil level or added any oil? Mine has never used a drop but you could have a slight overfill? Not great for the engine but could be a reason nonetheless.

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
smoke: I'm not sure. none from mine

Rev Hunting: no not normal see my thread

Maybe mine isn't rev hunting after all, mine is nothing like yours. Yours seems to be continuously going up and down, mine just goes from like 800 to 1,200 rpm when i go from like D2 to D1 when I come to a stand still.

Reading your thread, Seat saying its normal, that definitely isn't normal mate, I hope they sort you out!

SupaCupra

Apr 7, 2016
No smoking or hunting from mine either, at 17000 miles and 18 months old.

Have you checked the oil level or added any oil? Mine has never used a drop but you could have a slight overfill? Not great for the engine but could be a reason nonetheless.

I don't think mine is rev hunting after all, after seeing JF77's video, mine doesnt do anything like that.

I'm on 9,100 miles at the moment. I plan to put my standard air filter back in, clean the MAF and then have a major service at 10,000 miles so hopefully that sorts it :)

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
The increased revs wasnt there before? My 290 increases revs to around 1200 when Im in S, as soon as I put it in D it goes back to 800 and vice versa.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Mine has no rev hunting, lumpy idling or smoke after 38000 miles.
Used over 36000 miles 1 liter of engine oil so in fact not worth to mention.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members