VW502.00 Oil

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
If anybody needs to buy any oil with the above VW spec Costco have a special offer at the moment, Castrol Edge 5W 40 FST - 4 litres for £25.90 incl vat. The can has the old style branding but is a good deal.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
If anybody needs to buy any oil with the above VW spec Costco have a special offer at the moment, Castrol Edge 5W 40 FST - 4 litres for £25.90 incl vat. The can has the old style branding but is a good deal.

Each to their own, but I think that's far from a good deal for VW502 especially as it's only 4L, not to mention the brand, check out Opie oils website..

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
It bugs me too that they sell these 4L containers, I don't think I have ever owned a car that took 4L or less of oil, so you end up paying top whack for an extra 1L can........ :ban:

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
Each to their own, but I think that's far from a good deal for VW502 especially as it's only 4L, not to mention the brand, check out Opie oils website..

I checked the Opie Website before buying, cost from them is £39.98 for the same product, I bought 4 litres for topping up, my car is on a Seat Fixed price service plan for 3 years so don't intend to do any oil changes myself as I only do low mileage.

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
Jeez! Who puts 502.00 in their Leon? If you have it serviced at a VW/Audi/SEAT/SKoda dealer they will almost certainly use 507.00.

Let's just get this straight:

502.00 is for fixed service intervals - petrol

504.00 is Long Life variable - petrol

507.00 is variable/long life for most diesel engines except for V10, R5 and VW commercial vehicles without DPF.

So if you have 507.00 in your 1.8 TSI I would suggest draining it and adding the correct grade of oil for your vehicle.

Information was taken from the Opie oils website.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
My car is on fixed intervals and my dealer used a non vw507 oil, Mobil Super 3000 which is 502 spec. 5w30

My understanding is that 507 is a must for those on variable/long life intervals but not a requirement for fixed intervals.

The Castrol mentioned is 5w40 so the wrong grade for many.

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
My car is on fixed intervals and my dealer used a non vw507 oil, Mobil Super 3000 which is 502 spec. 5w30

My understanding is that 507 is a must for those on variable/long life intervals but not a requirement for fixed intervals.

The Castrol mentioned is 5w40 so the wrong grade for many.

Why do they make this so complicated!!

Despite Opie oils stating initially that 507.00 spec is for diesels it contradicts itself when you read more info that says it can be used in both diesel and petrol LOL

I have since checked again that despite Seat stating in the handbook that 502.00 spec is for fixed service intervals 504.00 spec apparently is better so it's the same price in Costco so I will swop it.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I bought 4 litres for topping up, my car is on a Seat Fixed price service plan for 3 years so don't intend to do any oil changes myself as I only do low mileage.

Four litres of oil sounds like quite a lot for topping up over three years! Does your car use much oil between services, do expect to use it?

I may have been very lucky but I have never needed to add any oil between services to any of my VW group cars!

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
Four litres of oil sounds like quite a lot for topping up over three years! Does your car use much oil between services, do expect to use it?

I may have been very lucky but I have never needed to add any oil between services to any of my VW group cars!

As far as I know it hasn't used any oil in the first year of ownership but I covered less than 3000 miles, overall it is cheaper to buy a larger quantity, I probably won't use much but I bought an expensive lawnmower with a Honda engine which also takes the same oil so I can use it in that. It certainly won't go to waste!!

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Let's just get this straight:

502.00 is for fixed service intervals - petrol

504.00 is Long Life variable - petrol

507.00 is variable/long life for most diesel engines except for V10, R5 and VW commercial vehicles without DPF.

So if you have 507.00 in your 1.8 TSI I would suggest draining it and adding the correct grade of oil for your vehicle.

Information was taken from the Opie oils website.

That won't be necessary since Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets both 504.00 and 507.00. ;)

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
That won't be necessary since Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets both 504.00 and 507.00. ;)

I apologise, this is my first Seat, I looked at the hand book to see what oil was required and thought 502.00 was the correct one, saw the offer in Costco and thought it was a good deal so thought I would let people know. I now know that Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30 LL FST covers both 504.00 and 507.00 spec although at first glance of the Opie Oils Website they seemed to suggest that 507.00 was diesel only and after doing some research it seems to cover both diesel and petrol.

As I mentioned before Costco have the 504.00/507.00 Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30 on offer at £25.90 so will do a swop the next time I am at Costco, its still a lot cheaper than buying from Opie Oils even with a discount.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Don't apologise, the manufacturers do seem to make it harder than it should be. :)

The handbook says 502 or 504 for petrol engines depending on oil drain interval and essentially 507 for all diesels since they all have a DPF.

Then you realise that using 504 instead of 502 won't do any harm even if you are not on the extended life regime and that one oil will cover 504 and 507.

I like Castrol Edge, it doesn't need to be expensive, it covers a wide base for many VAG engines and in higher mileage engines I find the burn rate is lower than many other oils.

Mobil 1 was my previous favourite but the low cost sources (Costco etc) for this seem to have dried up now.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.