Please tell me exactly what I need!!!!!

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
Ok so related to another thread I have I have found a RNS 315 I like the look of.

My car is 2008 pre f/l and the unit is 2011 I think. Comes with DAB, bluetooth, latest 2016 maps etc

Please can someone tell me what exactly I need to ensure the battery drain problem does not occur and what I will need to update the canbus for steering control to work

Part numbers especially appreciated.

Many thanks Jimbo

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
A 2008 car shouldn't experience the better drain, was only earlier Canbus variants I believe. This is certainly true for the RNS510, but can't confirm on the 315.

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
Thanks for that.

Is the 510 an earlier or later version? I ask as people seem to be saying the 510 is better suited to the pre f/l cars.

Jimbo

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Over the years I've put two RNS510 in my car (B ver 5+ years ago and a new one about 6 months ago), and an RCD510, and had no battery drain issues. My car is an 08 pre/FL I've had since new.

The RNS310/315 is a 'lesser' unit allegedly, smaller display etc. but is a newer design than the RNS510. They only put the 510 in the Leon for about 12 months, then switched to the cheaper 310/315 unit - guess it was VW controlling that one.

The official Seat RNS510 has no SD card slot, and it wouldn't fit in the dash with it, but you just have to cut away a bit of plastic to make it fit if you wish to use a VW unit. I wouldn't waste time hunting down a Seat unit if you went down the 510 route, the software is old and these haven't had an update for years - unlike the VW/Skoda units.

Anyway, none of this helps with your original question, sorry!

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
A rns 315 in a pre facelift Leon will need a new canbus for the steering wheel controls to work, it will also need coding and from I seen on here can be a right pig of a job to do. I put a rns 315 in mine and its brilliant great sat nav, much better sound quality, easy to use and install

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members