Question about light sensor

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
Hey guys,

Long question short, how do I use light sensor, if the light switch has no auto mode? :D

Scenario follows,
Planning to buy MY 2010 (or 2011, not so sure about it) Bocanegra. All the bocs sold with bi-xenon (and rain sensors I think, there are some sensors on the windshield) in my country. But, it has no auto mode for lights.

So here is the question,
do these sensors come as a pack? I mean if I just mount a light switch with auto mode (and presumably with some coding through VAG-COM) should I be able to use auto mode? :confused:

If not what parts do I need and how to do it?

Thanks! :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe have a look on www.uk-polos.net as someone is buying a kit from ebay.

Normally I would not suggest a SEAT Cupra . net user would need to use the Polo forum, but I think in this case, a few guys on the Polo forum have been getting quite creative with regard to changing/upgrading things on the 6R Polo.

Last edited:

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
Maybe have a look on www.uk-polos.net as someone is buying a kit from ebay.

Normally I would not suggest a SEAT Cupra . net user would need to use the Polo forum, but I think in this case, a few guys on the Polo forum have been getting quite creative with regard to changing/upgrading things on the 6R Polo.

Thanks for reply :)

On first page of 6R section, there's a topic about it but it's for the situation that no sensors at all I guess, using aftermarket product as light sensor.

I'd like to get it done with OEM parts if possible and still, if sensors come as a pack or not is a mystery for me :shrug:

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
There's no auto lights sensor on the cupra/boc.
There is a sensor that regulates the height of the lights (that's why you have nothing next to the instruments dimmer switch), and is located on the rear axle.

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
There's no auto lights sensor on the cupra/boc.
There is a sensor that regulates the height of the lights (that's why you have nothing next to the instruments dimmer switch), and is located on the rear axle.

I'm afraid you're wrong.

My best friend has MY 2011 bocanegra and he has auto mode. I know that sensor, completely irrevelant with my question :) as I understand from your message, you also have no auto mode. Can you send me a close pic of your sensors? I can compare them with the one we have here. If they all look similar, then sensors might have come as a pack.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
When I ordered mine (January 2010) there was no auto lights option. I have the factory Bi-xenons and the convenience pack that includes rain sensors among other things, it would be nice if it also has a lights sensor. I'll get you a pic when I can.

There are threads discussing this, it's a bit mixed up, see if you can understand what's going on, read the following:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288639
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299527
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251406

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
When I ordered mine (January 2010) there was no auto lights option. I have the factory Bi-xenons and the convenience pack that includes rain sensors among other things, it would be nice if it also has a lights sensor. I'll get you a pic when I can.

There are threads discussing this, it's a bit mixed up, see if you can understand what's going on, read the following:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288639
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299527
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251406

read all of those and got no negative result so far. I think we may have a chance :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have not looked at these links, but I think that I have read, either on the Polo or the Fabia forums, that there are more than one or two sensor assemblies available, originally it was hoped that there was only one light sensor, so if it was fitted you could add/upgrade to auto lights, but later someone claimed that that was not true, that there was different versions of these light sensors - one thing though, unless you buy aftermarket parts, you might need to change the BCM for a different type.

All I have written above is what I have read in forums, my wife's Polo 6R 6C does have auto lights because it is new.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that it was said that there is a "light sensor", a "light and humidity sensor" and a "light and humidity and rain sensor". I think that that means "sensor assembly", but it could also mean that there are different "light sensors" depending on how many controllers or functions their outputs "fan out" into, though hopefully that is not correct as I'd hope that the sensor output signal would be connected to one controller and that controller would control any function(s) that needed that signal.

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
I think that it was said that there is a "light sensor", a "light and humidity sensor" and a "light and humidity and rain sensor". I think that that means "sensor assembly", but it could also mean that there are different "light sensors" depending on how many controllers or functions their outputs "fan out" into, though hopefully that is not correct as I'd hope that the sensor output signal would be connected to one controller and that controller would control any function(s) that needed that signal.

Well, even if they look all same they might be different you say.. If I can, will try to find out which sensor is related with auto mode, with basic experiments on my mate's car.

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
If you look at the brochure on the current model, it describes the convenience pack Convenience Pack
Convenience is the key component of this package, featuring
rain-sensing wipers, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror and
auto-headlights, with coming and leaving home headlight
functionality for when you need a little assistance on those
long journeys.

It shows the sensors as part of the rear view mirror bracket.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Well, even if they look all same they might be different you say.. If I can, will try to find out which sensor is related with auto mode, with basic experiments on my mate's car.

OK, so I took some pictures today, sorry for the quality, it was dark.
I located 2 sensors, or what seems to me as sensors.
One is on the windshield and the other is on the rear view mirror (I think the second one might be a light sensor indeed!):

f4059cdf-bffe-4678-b32f-ffe6d023f847_zpswyvx9udp.jpg

5237aa3d-1f08-4625-a02c-07f4e9251547_zpsrhpjj9ks.jpg

Last edited:

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
lol Congrats!
Does it have any different sensors after all?
Do you have an auto switch or a regular?

thanks! :)

Had no chance to compare them. Both cars were in different cities, I went to only one and got him :)

It has auto switch. Also, coming home was not coded (xenons wouldn't fire up if it was dark) and a friend of mine enabled it through vag-com and voila!

Last edited:

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
thanks! :)

Had no chance to compare them. Both cars were in different cities, I went to only one and got him :)

It has auto switch. Also, coming home was not coded (xenons wouldn't fire up if it was dark) and a friend of mine enabled it through vag-com and voila!

What about those that I posted above? Are they the same? Does it have any others, like a dot on the console below the windshield that I read about in one of those threads that I posted?

Last edited: