Cupra on normal 95 ron fuel

StuartT

Jul 23, 2001
Shetland
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about running a cupra 290 on 95 ron fuel. Unfortunately some of us live out in the sticks in north Scotland and can't get ANY super unleaded. My nearest is probably a 6hr ferry ride!

I'd expect it to be a little down on power but does it run smooth? Anyone tried it or are having to do this?

Thanks

nautix

Aug 28, 2015
Hi, I have to run mine on 95 as its only option in Ireland. No running issues at all! Also, inside filler cap it states (95 RON) so don't think it's cause long term probs - just a small reduction in power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonsaunders

Jan 5, 2016
I'm no expert on VAG products, but most modern cars will manage this for you.

Worth experimenting with tanks of both to see what mpg and performance you get on each.

My old R53 Cooper S hated 95 and ran like a dog on it. But at least having tried it, I could justify the extra. On scores of motorbikes and other performance cars, 95 or higher made little discernible difference.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Cupra's should run 98 or above says on your petrol flap.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Cupra's should run 98 or above says on your petrol flap.

I believe it's different depending on the market like for instance, Ireland it is stated 95. Although you're right that it is 98 on the fuel filler cap.

Car should be fine on 95

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Don't know of anybody selling 98ron in Southern Ireland . Mine runs absolutely perfect on 95. I remember watching a programme some time ago , it may have been top gear .....they did a test with a golf gti and the results weren't to be expected. Some of the so called higher octane fuels didn't perform as well as they should have.

driver33

Apr 9, 2016
Hi Stuart. I am another Islander but unlike Shetland, we have one filling station with super unleaded on Lewis (in Stornoway). The cap on mine says 95 in brackets and modern fuel management ecus will compensate for variations in fuel quality, so I would not have a problem using 95 when I have to.

Island roads are not about ultimate performance, but handling and drive out of the corners. Hope you don't have too many speed traps. We have no cameras - just an occasional visit with handheld guns.

Enjoy!

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
If concerned about 95, just go to Halfords and buy Millers Eco Max fuel additive. Adds 2 octane ratings. £12.99 I believe and lasts 10 fill-ups so £1.29 per fill-up. I always put Tesco momentum (99) in my 290, but if none on my travels I put any normal unleaded 95, or sainsburys super 97 in plus a dose of the Millers. In all honesty for first few weeks I just put Asda or normal unleaded 95 in, then as soon as started on the Tesco momentum 99 I did notice a difference. More responsive and runs better.

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Due to millage I do and not being near premium petrol. It's been Morrisons 95 for me. Absolutely no problems for me. And as said before bloody fast. Heavy right foot and 70 miles a day mostly DC and motorway avg 32mpg.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Have always used Asda 95 in all my Cupra's, and with no noticeable diff in performance to my mates running on 98 and 99. If fact I always manage to overtake him on country runs.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I have had to put peasant fuel in the Cupra as down in darkest Cornwall anything greater than 95 is sparse..... Even thought I was going to have to pay in pasties at one stage...:cry:

K30VBW

May 1, 2016
I run mine on 98 usually but I've ran it on 95 before as well and it's been absolutely fine!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.