Seat Leon MK2 timing belt change intervals

Jonsyb

Subtle changes
Dec 27, 2014
n.ireland
Got mine done at 65,000 with water pump too and was as good as the day it was new plenty of life left but my motto is if your thinking about it just do it as it will be peace of mind at least

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
Considering the importance of it I would say change it if you can afford it. I think the age of the belt is important, although not as critical as the mileage indicator.

TI KUFF

May 26, 2015
I have my 2011 Leon which is on 83k mileage. Looking at service history as it was done by Volkswagen upto 70k mileage by previous owner.
Doesn't state it had timing belt changed or any warnings that it needs changing at any time

Still running fine with no noise, problems or faults. Still pulling and changing gears as it should.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Digging up an old thread a bit but...

My 2010 CR FR TDi is coming up to its service date in May. I'll have had it since it was 2 years old and it's never had the timing belt done since I've had it (and would've been too young to need it before that).

It's only done 57k, but I figure as far as this thread goes it should be overdue by 2 years almost?

I contacted two local dealers who told me conflicting info. One said 5 years or (55,750miles), and the other 5yrs or 120k. Both of those conflict with this thread also. And my book doesn't say how many years, just 140k...

Am I best getting it done now? Or would I be noticing issues with the car if I needed it doing?

Thanks!

Just had mine done by seat on special offer timing belt kit, water pump and anti freeze, some thing like £350 and got a courtesy car too, didn't have time to do it myself as I was booked up with jobs. So rang and was surprised , interval is 5 years or 120k miles

TI KUFF

May 26, 2015
It's either 5 years or 120k mileage, which ever comes first really.
Since your Leon's timing belt is over 5years old I recommend you getting it changed.
My 2011 Leon is only on around 80k but since the timing belt is just over 5years old I will be getting it changed this month.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Just had mine done by seat on special offer timing belt kit, water pump and anti freeze, some thing like £350 and got a courtesy car too, didn't have time to do it myself as I was booked up with jobs. So rang and was surprised , interval is 5 years or 120k miles

It's either 5 years or 120k mileage, which ever comes first really.
Since your Leon's timing belt is over 5years old I recommend you getting it changed.
My 2011 Leon is only on around 80k but since the timing belt is just over 5years old I will be getting it changed this month.

Thanks a lot both of you.

I've read a few posts about the water pump also...Is that something that's on a schedule or has it just gone kaput?

Ta!

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Schedule , it makes sense to replace it

Thanks Unit9.

I've just read through my service book and can see all of the scheduled items; the water pump isn't there...

Is there any more info anywhere on the water pump schedule?

Ta!

**EDIT** - I've spoken to SEAT UK. They've said there's no schedule for the pump, but that they recommend it gets done with the timing belt due to the labour involved. To do it separately would cost a fortune in labour so you're best off doing it together... (apparently)

Last edited:

bzoow

Mar 30, 2011
Hi sfmk2,
Did you get a quote for the cambelt and pump replacement from your local dealer? Is it a Seat main dealer or are you going to an independent?
My 2010 CR FR TDi also has around 57k on it and I was told by Seat that the interval was 5 years or 140k mls. As it's a year over was thinking of replacement when the MOT/service is due in June but was considering using an independent as the Seat fixed price looks to be around £530 with the pump.
They do give a 5 year warranty which pretty well confirms that it must last over 5 years!

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Hi sfmk2,
Did you get a quote for the cambelt and pump replacement from your local dealer? Is it a Seat main dealer or are you going to an independent?
My 2010 CR FR TDi also has around 57k on it and I was told by Seat that the interval was 5 years or 140k mls. As it's a year over was thinking of replacement when the MOT/service is due in June but was considering using an independent as the Seat fixed price looks to be around £530 with the pump.
They do give a 5 year warranty which pretty well confirms that it must last over 5 years!

Hiya bzoow,

I got a quote from two dealers. They both came back at £530. £400 for the belt, £130 for the pump. I need a service too; they wanted £240 for that on top.

I'm going independent. It's looking like a major service, belt and pump (2yr warranty), for £450.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Hiya bzoow,

I got a quote from two dealers. They both came back at £530. £400 for the belt, £130 for the pump. I need a service too; they wanted £240 for that on top.

I'm going independent. It's looking like a major service, belt and pump (2yr warranty), for £450.

I went independent when I replaced the cam belt and water pump as it was cheaper than the dealers. I think the car was 6 years old and only had around 40k miles it was £400 for a new pump and belt all genuine VAG parts.

TI KUFF

May 26, 2015
I went independent when I replaced the cam belt and water pump as it was cheaper than the dealers. I think the car was 6 years old and only had around 40k miles it was £400 for a new pump and belt all genuine VAG parts.
Is £400 inc labour?
When I rang my local dealership they were asking £235 for belt and pump and that was without labour.

leon_mike

Oct 8, 2015
I posted on this some time back:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424076

The service manual clearly says 120k miles for Common Rail Engines.

Spoke with my local garage (not a SEAT dealer) and they said that Cambelts should be good for at least 100k miles and that if the service interval should be set such that there should be virtually no failures before the due replacement time and if the book states 120k miles then they should not fail before this.

Lots of people here saying they have been told 4 years / 60k miles, but the person who replied to my thread said they were told 5 years / 80k miles by their dealer.

I'll probably get mine done soon but seems from the variety of recommendations that dealers just "make it up" probably in the hope they can increase service revenues.

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
Lol your worried about the belt what about your timing chains and cam adjuster coming up to 10 years you hear that Tappety noise that's your chain sloppy on first start up time to change

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
its not the chain that makes that noise its the tensioner..

Why change just the tensioner you might as well change the chain and while there take a look at the cam adjuster sprocket that has worn away due to a slack chain that's now worn due to a faulty worn chain tensioner the knock on effect.

It's not the tensioner making the noise it's the slack chain as the tensioner has failed, tensioner places pressure on the chain to keep it tight on the cam adjuster sprocket when slack due to no tension the chain is sloppy making the noise which is metal on metal wear which is the chain getting worn on the sprockets because it's loose slowly stretching getting timing off ever so slightly until BANG your engine needs a rebuild.

Last edited:

delboy140

Jul 16, 2013
Just about to get mine done. Car is almsot 10 years old, and has done 106K. TDi Sport 140.
No evidence of it being done before.
I like to live dangerously. No funny noises, pulls well, quiet, and so far ( I've done it now haven't I ? )

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Just wondering did you ever change yours? Mines on 102k and not had it done... Also dose is there any difference in it being a tdi or 1.8T? Someone is tying to low ball me for my leon saying it's only worth 750 Coz the water pump and belt hasn't been done!

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Just wondering did you ever change yours? Mines on 102k and not had it done... Also dose is there any difference in it being a tdi or 1.8T? Someone is tying to low ball me for my leon saying it's only worth 750 Coz the water pump and belt hasn't been done!

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
It should have been done at 100k interval how mich you selling the car for I just changed mine £350 was the cost for a genuine 1. There isn't a difference of when it should be done look in the service book it will tell you in that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.