Re-attaching rear view mirror

Haribo7

Still not in!

Well I've just tried heating the spring over the cooker to push it back in, got a blister and a cut for my trouble but still not in...

There's got to be a way to do this no way they just push them in on the line, will have to keep thinking!

Haribo7

Still not in!

Whoops posted twice apologies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
This just happened to my rear view mirror yesterday after it got head-butted off by accident. I managed to successfully re-attach it again today with the help of this thread.

I applied a spray of white lithium grease to either side of the spring mechanism (not that I think it really needed it) then lay back against the dash, located the mounting mechanism squarely in the hole of the roof and just used some hard constant upwards pressure on the mirror to push / re-locate the spring clip mechanism back into the roof mounting bracket. It just snapped back into place a treat. I never felt there was any danger of cracking the mirror case by doing it this way.

Prior to this I tried the methods previously mentioned in this thread by first putting one side in at an angle and then trying to use a large flat-bladed screwdriver to press the other side in but this turned into a complete faff and I had no joy doing it this way. The rectangular piece of trim located around the neck of the mirror also just kept getting in the way so I eventually gave up trying that method.

As some of the links and pictures in this thread are now quite old and seem to have disappeared, below are a few new ones which might help anyone else who is faced with the same problem.

29vavqd.jpg

1zz1fko.jpg

xmkbih.jpg

29391k3.jpg

Last edited:

M477YEO

Nov 18, 2015
Any advice please - my mate has head butted my mirror off - as we was trying to put it back in the spring has come off landing in the roof and there's no way in hell of getting it out :( - anyone know where I can get a new spring from ? I imagine seat will charge a whole new unit ?

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
Hi M477YEO

I managed to recover the spring, but I can't see anywhere you can get a new spring other than the dealer.
Have you already replaced it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M477YEO

Nov 18, 2015
Hey mate, yeah lucky as I was driving along I heard something fell from the ceiling - it was only that Spring !! Haha all sorted now cheers mate

tshililow

Certified Full Member
May 10, 2010
Johannesburg, South Africa
Took me over 5 months to have the courage to do this but today finally, I did it. If I could do it, anyone can believe me when I say this. Any of my first attmept DIY, I've broken something major.

...lay back against the dash, located the mounting mechanism squarely in the hole of the roof and just used some hard constant upwards pressure on the mirror to push / re-locate the spring clip mechanism back into the roof mounting bracket. It just snapped back into place a treat. I never felt there was any danger of cracking the mirror case by doing it this way.

This is your best bet. I applied a bit of Chain Lube :D and don't know if it had any effect hahaahaaaaa.
Anyway, that was the only available Can of something in my garage. Leaning against the dash, it took less than 10 seconds to snap the little thing back in. You don't need to take the Interior Lighting part out.

Fawzia55

Jul 9, 2015
Anyone local wanting to help

Hi i have tried my hardest to fit my ineterior mirror back in, i just cant do it.
I have asked seat and their asking way too much.

Is there anyone local that anyone knows of anyone who can do this?

PLEASE:cry::cry:

Farqhuit

Jul 21, 2016
Nath's method worked, cheers for that. Before I searched on here, I thought that removing the mirror from the bracket might help - big mistake. In case you've done this, here's how I managed to reassemble the ball joint. Not very elegant, but it worked after many failed attempts with other methods: I tried assembling the joint then fitting the spring clip after, but no joy.

1. Carefully prize out the bezel surround and remove this and the mirror glass.
2. Support the mirror on two blocks of wood or whatever so that the switch on the bottom is in the gap.
3. WD40 the inner surface of the spring clip, then place the spring clip in a horizontal position on the top of the plastic rose that surrounds the socket (looks like a Hozelock fitting).
4. Using a bit of wood to apply force over the whole of the spring clip, strike the wood with a rubber mallet to force the spring clip onto the plastic rose. If it doesn't want to go, open up the clip a bit with a smallish flathead screwdriver (with the blade horizontal), which you can leave dangling in place while you whack it. Tap again as needed to seat the spring fully.
5. Put a bit of WD40 on the metal ball, place the plastic panel* over the shaft, then position the ball on the plastic rose at the mouth of the socket with the shaft in a vertical position.
6. Strike the fitting (with the coiled spring in) at the top of the shaft with enough force and follow through to force the ball fully into the socket. I used a wooden drift with a cutaway to sit either side of the spring assembly - possibly unnecessary, but I didn't want to risk dislodging the spring.
7. Refit the mirror to the roof (see Nath's post, above), then refit the bezel and mirror glass.

*The plastic panel is the bit that clips into the roof panel and covers the hole. First time I reassembled the ball & socket I forgot this component, second time I put it on upside down and nearly broke it. Get this right and do it just once!

Final thought: when the mirror first came off, there was a tiny tensioning spring near the main spring, with what looke like the fitting position for another at the other end. No idea what this/these were for, and they had vanished by the time I finally got it reassembled, so who knows?

Last edited:

PEZ125

Nov 7, 2016
It is one hell of a struggle it has to be said!

I tried for about an hour to put it back in place, but as said above, covered the spring in WD40, left overnight and the next day it took a minute max! I found it easiest with your back against dash so your looking directly up at it. Put the left side peg in place first and put as much pressure to the left as you can when you push up, When it clicks into place it hardly takes any force, I had to check a couple of times just to make sure it was secure!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.