180 FR, a brilliant car.....

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Just had my Leon for a couple of months or so, yesterday I had to take it through a mountain passage (returning alone) and wow it is just perfect, this is my car, I absolutely love it. She has the right amount of power so that you can feel comfortable, the handling is just what I wanted. I can't imagine how good is the Cupra290, I just can't.

To all of you guys, I love this forum, thank you for telling me how good this car is .........

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
It's a brilliant all round package, it's my second choice to the Cupra. When the time comes, I suggest you have a go in the Cupra!

I am already thinking of trading in the Pulsar, never had a test drive in a Cupra, just too afraid that I will just get one :) My girlfriend said she does not want the dumb Nissan anymore after driving the Leon (I told her she made wrong choice).

Last edited:

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
That's promising to hear. I will be ordering a 180 soon. As niggle stated the remap is so good on these. I'm thinking of possible tuning box to avoid warranty issues.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Did you remap yours, I thought it was limited due to the gearbox. Please do let me know if you did, it will most certainly be mi first task :)

Not yet. Very tempted to go for the Superchips Bluefin as they are a fairly conservative tune and I can install/uninstall the map at will with the supplied OBD2 device. Superchips usually take the DSG limits into consideration but I would check with their Technical bods before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

It all boils down to whether we keep the Leon long enough to get my money's worth out of the "investment". We ordered the Leon with a factory 5 year warranty but the dealer f*cked up and failed to register the warranty on the car. The missus is keen to get rid before the three year warranty expires, I'll just pluck another £20K off the money tree and chop the Leon in for an X1 or Evoque, I suppose ... :shrug:

Seatowl

Apr 19, 2016
These threads are making me jealous, still about 11 week wait for mine

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Most definitely a brilliant car, I also think about the re-map but not sure about the gearbox handling on this.

Can someone please shed some light? is it safe to remap it?

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
Most definitely a brilliant car, I also think about the re-map but not sure about the gearbox handling on this.

Can someone please shed some light? is it safe to remap it?

I can't speak for the remap, but I've got a DTUK box in mine and it's excellent.

There's a huge thread on here with a lot of discussion on them which might help if you're interested in going for a box instead of a straight remap.

Fair warning, it's a long thread: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=392680

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
It's only for disel engines tho? I have 1.8 tsi petrol, so i guess I can't use it?

Sent from my LG-H960 using Tapatalk

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
It's only for disel engines tho? I have 1.8 tsi petrol, so i guess I can't use it?

Nope, you can buy petrol model ones also.

Go onto their website and select your model of Leon and it'll show you which boxes you can have :)

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Great I'll check it out and research some more ☺

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I have the Leon 5-Door FR 1.8TSi 180PS Petrol DSG, and think it is a brilliant engine and gearbox combination! I've tried test-driving a VW Golf 1.4TSi 150PS ACT Petrol DSG, and although it is a very smooth-running engine, somehow it seemed to me that it just didn't quite have that extra edge in consistant linear pulling-power performance which you get at all engine speeds with the 1.8TSi 180PS engine.

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
Great, could you let us know of your findings, I will also research, but honestly I am very time constrained :( I did already send an email to DTUK.

It takes about 20 seconds to find the systems available for your car once on their website and doing a car search.

Also, I'd advice calling them instead of emailing if you get time, they're very friendly and helpful.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I cant say about DSG, but with manual no worries when APR mapped...
Mine made 266bhp / 417nm on dyno and it pulls like a train from 2000-6000rpm, does not run out of puff at any point.
Fuel consumption went down 0,6litres per 100km and that was a bonus.

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
New car

looking too get myself a MK3 leon fr, obviously im wanting some nice bells and whistles such as technology pack with the 18" peformance wheels. Although money no option what engine is best the 1.8tsi or the 2.0tdi? absolutely money no option does the diesels torque give it an advantage over the petrol or is the petrols rev range make it peform better?

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
looking too get myself a MK3 leon fr, obviously im wanting some nice bells and whistles such as technology pack with the 18" peformance wheels. Although money no option what engine is best the 1.8tsi or the 2.0tdi? absolutely money no option does the diesels torque give it an advantage over the petrol or is the petrols rev range make it peform better?

I've driven both and it really depends on what you like. The TSI has a creamy smooth engine and revs out nicely, but has an inferior gearbox to the diesel if you are after a DSG. The TSI IIRC doesn't get the multi-link rear suspension that the TDI 184FR does either.

Both take to a stage 1 map nicely
The TDI has better overall fuel consumption and when mapped has better in-gear acceleration due to having 360-380lbft.