Flat Battery query

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
I returned yesterday from 3 weeks abroad. During those 3 weeks, my car (184 diesel FR) was briefly turned on twice by my Dad- once to move it off the drive, and then again to move it back on. I went to turn it on today to drive home and the battery was flat. It also threw up all sorts of error checks (ESC not available, check tyre pressures, brake warning to name a few).

After jump starting it using my Mum's car, and subsequently driving it home, the warning lights and error messages disappeared so I'm pretty sure all those were due to the flat battery.

Anyhow, given that it's a 14 plate, I'm pretty sure the battery shouldn't be going flat based on the above? Is this something that I need to get looked into, or could it just be a one off? And would any issues with it be covered by warranty?

It started fine after I popped into Tesco on the way home.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Last edited:

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Last edited:

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
It sounds like something was left on tbh battery is under warranty and failing within the time frame are very rare there is a whole TPI for checking the battery to warranty standards so they dont get replaced Uneededly be advised if you bring it in for battery issues they'll probably want to full charge it on the smart charger before testing.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
forget chargers

get the car and battery looked at!

It shouldn't be going flat after just 3 weeks

My thoughts exactly. Everything turns off when the engine is turned off so it's not like anything was left of.

I'll see how it goes overthe next few weeks

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
My thoughts exactly. Everything turns off when the engine is turned off so it's not like anything was left of.

I'll see how it goes overthe next few weeks

This isn't quite true you have terminal 15 which is a switch live so it will only be on when the ignition is on then you have terminal 30 which is permanent live any parasitic draw on the terminal 30 circuit will have caused a flat battery.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
This isn't quite true you have terminal 15 which is a switch live so it will only be on when the ignition is on then you have terminal 30 which is permanent live any parasitic draw on the terminal 30 circuit will have caused a flat battery.

What can be drawing from terminal 30? And by terminal, what do you mean? (Sorry, car/engine layman here)

I have just realised it could have been my dashcam but I'm sure I installed that to piggyback a switch live fuse rather than permanent specifically so it wouldnt drain the battery.

Will double check the fuse number and report back.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
Had exactly the same issue late last year when I was away for 3 weeks which I put down to my dashcam. Had to get the nice man at Gatwick long stay to jump it and like you say, it threw up umpteen errors when it did start.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
No consolation. But agree shouldn't happen. I've left mine for six weeks on two separate occasions. Started first time after each period of non-use.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
I'm willing to bet it was your dashcam. No point going to the dealers for that imo...

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
To put your mind at rest...

It was October when I had trouble with mine and it's been good as gold since.

I'm off this Friday for 12 nights, but this time I'm going to remove the dashcam wiring before parking it up. I'll let you know if I have to call on Mr Gatwick car park man again.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
What can be drawing from terminal 30? And by terminal, what do you mean? (Sorry, car/engine layman here)

I have just realised it could have been my dashcam but I'm sure I installed that to piggyback a switch live fuse rather than permanent specifically so it wouldnt drain the battery.

Will double check the fuse number and report back.

Hi sorry terminal 15/30 is a Din standard for electrical terminal connectors used in automotive use.

15 = battery through ignition switch

30= battery direct.

basically anything that is ignition switch live is on a terminal 15 circuit and anything that is always live Alarm horn etc are on terminal 30 circuits.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
To put your mind at rest...

It was October when I had trouble with mine and it's been good as gold since.

I'm off this Friday for 12 nights, but this time I'm going to remove the dashcam wiring before parking it up. I'll let you know if I have to call on Mr Gatwick car park man again.

I was thinking I'd do the same if I ever leave it for a period unused. My dashcam is piggy backing on fuse F40. I followed this guide when installing:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=415052

Only difference is that in that guide, the fuse is one line down from the others on the same row, however mine is level- is that an issue?

I've just plugged the cam into my laptop to check the videos- it's been recording while stationary despite the auto motion detect being off so it must have been draining the battery. I'll move the fuse location down a line as per the guide and keep an eye on the recordings over the next few days

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I was thinking I'd do the same if I ever leave it for a period unused. My dashcam is piggy backing on fuse F40. I followed this guide when installing:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=415052

Only difference is that in that guide, the fuse is one line down from the others on the same row, however mine is level- is that an issue?

Having it in line makes it permanent live rather than live with ignition so yes, your dashcam has powered when the car is off.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Having it in line makes it permanent live rather than live with ignition so yes, your dashcam has powered when the car is off.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I did move it down a line last night and noticed that it was no longer charging without the engine on.

Case closed!