Complete Brake Failure

martin CR

Sep 3, 2006
badpipe.jpg
[/IMG]
martin33100
Hi, thought I would share this with all you other leon owners this may be applicable to, I had total brake failure today in our 03 leon CR, when I got the car home and had a look I found the turbo oil pipe had rubbed a hole in one of the brake master cylinder pipes next to it. Hope I am the only person this has happened to so far!!!:(:(

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
sh*t mate - I assume that you and the car are ok? Hope so.

I've heard of this before - just not on the leon...?

martin CR

Sep 3, 2006
sh*t mate - I assume that you and the car are ok? Hope so.

I've heard of this before - just not on the leon...?

Car and me are ok, the pipe burst about a mile from my house, I made it home slowly and the brake fluid light cam on when I pulled up on my drive, it will be worth others checking there pipes when they have the sump gaurd of next, it must have been rubbing for a while as the brake pipe is quite thick, I will have to give Seat a ring on Monday to get a new pipe ordered(and a couple of litres of brake fluid)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
That could have been much worse. Outside lane of motorway etc... I might ask the garage to check this next service. Why not get a set of braided hoses from Goodridge instead of the OE rubber?.

martin CR

Sep 3, 2006
That could have been much worse. Outside lane of motorway etc... I might ask the garage to check this next service. Why not get a set of braided hoses from Goodridge instead of the OE rubber?.

You are not reading the tread, it was the steel pipe at the master cylinder that got the hole rubbed in it, see how serious it is mate!!

martin CR

Sep 3, 2006
Just found out a guy in my Westfield car club that had the same pipe go on his leon cupra a couple of years ago, it went in the same place, caused by the other metal pipe rubbing it through, Seat said to him they have never seen this before but its two cars now, the brake pipe is aluminum so if it does rub it wont take long to go through.

Last edited:

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Think im gonna put mine on the ramp 2 morrow and check round the pipes,bit worried.NO recalls been made just checked. glad your ok martin but thanks for finding a problem now we can try and stop it

martin CR

Sep 3, 2006
master.jpg
[/IMG]
Think im gonna put mine on the ramp 2 morrow and check round the pipes,bit worried.NO recalls been made just checked. glad your ok martin but thanks for finding a problem now we can try and stop it

You will have to take all the lower engine shields off to see it, there is two pipes from the master cylinder, it is the one at the front that travels near the metal turbo oil pipe, if you look at the picture the pipe has been taken off but you can see the oil pipe right under it

Last edited:

martin CR

Sep 3, 2006
Spoke to Kings Seat Portsmouth today about my problem, they didn't seem that bothered, then I spoke to VOSA and they sre now going to get Seat to do an investigation into it.

Gaz R

Hi this has happened to me any body got a link for the part? or the part number and how much did it cost? anybody any sort of guide for fitting a new one?

S11AX

May 4, 2016
Hi, thought I would share this with all you other leon owners this may be applicable to, I had total brake failure today in our 03 leon CR, when I got the car home and had a look I found the turbo oil pipe had rubbed a hole in one of the brake master cylinder pipes next to it. Hope I am the only person this has happened to so far!!!:(:(

I have just had the same thing happen to me but unfortunately I crashed, my brake pipe is the exact same as above almost identical...I have now replaced it but when I went to bleed my brakes all were fine until I got to the front passenger no brake fluid is coming out at all any suggestions? And yeah this must be a common problem for sure! SCARY!

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
This is scary!!

I had a look at mine today. You can see the pipes from above if you shine a torch down beside the master cylinder. I couldn't see from this angle whether the pipes were touching, but try this. I got a wire coathanger and bent the end round so I could use it to feel for a gap between the pipes. The wire passed through with a bit of wiggle room, so I reckon 3-4mm clearance.

Does anybody know how the pipe to the turbo is secured? If it's fixed to the bulkhead with flexible connection to the engine then the small clearance shouldn't be a problem. If it's fixed to the engine then it's worrying because it will move about with the engine vibration.

I'm guessing it should be fixed to the bulkhead, in which case need to check that the clip/bracket hasn't come adrift and allowed the oil pipe to float about and chafe on the brake pipe. Can anybody explain this better?

Apr 6, 2020
Hey guys, this is the only thread I could find, but my friend crashed his car 5 hours ago, I was driving behind him, he had to brake for the corner but he didn’t slow down, car threw white smoke, we think it was the brakes, but we aren’t sure. Do you guys have any pictures of this problem so we know where to look, he only got his car recently and it’s completely wrecked now.
He has a seat Leon FR 2003, Chipped to 200HP. With 120K+ miles on it.
Hope you guys have any ideas
Thanks in advance
Maarten.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.