Why do you hide your plate?

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
Hey ;)

This is purely out of interest: why do you feel the need to hide your plate in online pics/video?

On the one hand you could say "I don't want my car cloned", but then isn't driving down the street where thousands of other drivers see your plate even more risky?

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
Hey ;)

This is purely out of interest: why do you feel the need to hide your plate in online pics/video?

On the one hand you could say "I don't want my car cloned", but then isn't driving down the street where thousands of other drivers see your plate even more risky?

Ahhh, but consider if you were looking to clone a plate of say a Cupra in a particular colour. Then how long would you have to wait in a random street to see one, when you could farm it off a forum?

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
...and why risk cloning a plate local to you when you could have one at the other end of the country? Imagine driving down road with randoms waving at you then puzzled when notice that their friend isn't driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
Great points. I suppose the Cupra thing would depend how rare they end up. Also any mk3 leon plate would potentially do for a clone.

Local plate thing Is bang on, I suppose if u just clone plates in your street you're gonna get nicked quickly :p

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I just cover my plate because it's in the forum rules. I've been told off before on here and can't be bothered with the argument. I tend to put less photos up than I used to because it's not as straightforward when you got to load it into another app first to blur the plate and then save it back to your camera roll and then load it to the forum

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
There have been instances of people getting speeding fines/fines for non payment of the London congestion charge/parking fines because they've had their car cloned.
This is people in the north of England, Wales & Scotland.

So, you live in Aberdeen & own 'say' a black mk3 SC FR....and you post up pictures of your car on this forum.

Some other scumbag with the exact same car who lives in London (say a drug dealer type) who regularly breaks the law as he doesn't give two monkeys about who he hurts clones the plates & then uses it on his car to avoid paying the congestion charge , or drives in bus lanes, or parking tickets etc. All of which attract a fine.

Meanwhile, some poor innocent sod in Aberdeen is receiving fines in the post left, right & centre because the plate on the offending car is linked to him.
And unless the offending cloned plated car is found the innocent party is stuck trying to convince the authorities that he isn't the person responsible and he hasn't incurred the fines

Always hide you plate!!

Last edited:

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
You can gather a lot of details of someone through their plates, hence why they are covered - DVLA for instance you can so much as check the vehicle millage and through paid services much more personal details.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I just cover my plate because it's in the forum rules. I've been told off before on here and can't be bothered with the argument. I tend to put less photos up than I used to because it's not as straightforward when you got to load it into another app first to blur the plate and then save it back to your camera roll and then load it to the forum

The rules actually relate to posting pics of other peoples cars up, you can post as many pics of your own cars reg if you are daft enough to want to.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise