Oil change question

StuartT

Jul 23, 2001
Shetland
Visit site
Can't you just suck out some oil via the dipstick tube ?? Surely that has got the best the easiest solution. I've done many oil changes this way using the proper equipment but it can also be done with a large syringe etc. which is the way most oil samples are taken.

Something like this will do the job perfectly, might take a few goes but lot quicker than going bakc to dealer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medical-Syringes-Sterile-Large-10ml-5ml-2ml-100ml-tube-refill-ink-glue-oli-DIY-/251336911947?var=&hash=item3a84d8ec4b:m:mGnyLXxmbGBXeTXulSce07Q

Yeah I could suck out via dipstick but its got wrong oil in it so might as well get it swapped. Thanks for the link though!

StuartT

Jul 23, 2001
Shetland
Visit site
Hi Stuart

Which dealer do you use? I am guessing Aberdeen?

I dont really want to name dealer as its the 1st time they messed up but yeah its north of Dundee off the A90 :p

Normally their work is good, perhaps someone had a bad day lol I think I'd use them again but check work before leaving forecourt.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Yeah I could suck out via dipstick but its got wrong oil in it so might as well get it swapped. Thanks for the link though!

Its only the wrong oil if you want to stay on extended service intervals, its still a perfectly serviceable oil. You could remove the excess oil then go back for another service in 10k miles ? ( with the dealer covering some of your costs as they messed up)

Extended servicing is in place purely to lower the cost of ownership at the expense of engine wear. Changing oil at 10k is always going to be better than 20k.

StuartT

Jul 23, 2001
Shetland
Visit site
Its only the wrong oil if you want to stay on extended service intervals, its still a perfectly serviceable oil. You could remove the excess oil then go back for another service in 10k miles ? ( with the dealer covering some of your costs as they messed up)

Extended servicing is in place purely to lower the cost of ownership at the expense of engine wear. Changing oil at 10k is always going to be better than 20k.

Oh yeah I could certainly do that but I'm not on mainland uk regularly hence I wanted a bit of flexibility. So 1yr I might get it done after 8k another year might be 12k.

Also there's times of the year that are really bad for travelling on ferry due to weather. Seen the ferry cancelled for days or take 24hrs instead of 14. If I can stretch it a little so rather than having to go down in January go in March or April and have an extra 2k miles then its much better. The fun of living on an island :D