Cupra, putting power down

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
How well does the DSG Cupra put its power down? I'll be changing car end of year and although I'm looking at things like the Q5 I 'might' go for something a bit more fun. Auto is a must and ideally 4 wheel drive which I know the Cupra isn't. New Focus RS might have appealed but manual only so rules that out.

So, when one is being 'enthusiastic' with the accelerator (in normal weather) does the Cupra put its power down quite well or is it wheel spin city? Oh, and what's it like in the snow/ice?

Last edited:

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Yes it puts its power down (relatively) - like most front wheel drive cars, it's going to have a little spin, but don't mash the throttle like a 4 wheel drive.

Thoroughly recommend it, if you do get too much slip for your liking - invest in some different boots such as M Sport Cup 2's or PSS.

Edit: putting it in Eco mode in slippery conditions is the ultimate cure. Isn't bad in normal etc

Last edited:

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Yes it puts its power down (relatively) - like most front wheel drive cars, it's going to have a little spin, but don't mash the throttle like a 4 wheel drive.

Thoroughly recommend it, if you do get too much slip for your liking - invest in some different boots such as M Sport Cup 2's or PSS.

Edit: putting it in Eco mode in slippery conditions is the ultimate cure. Isn't bad in normal etc

cheers, will be test driving it (and other makes/models) over coming months, tbh my heads all over the place in terms of what I'm looking at!!

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I've not had any issues with traction in the 290, even in the wet. Decent tyres are a must such as Michelin pss or continental sc5. Yes you will get some wheel spin mashing the throttle but you will get that in any powerful car irrespective of drivetrain.

I tried the golf r, s3, m135i and focus st and found the cupra to be the most characterful and enjoyable drive, plus it actually feels quicker than the others above 20 mph. Of course 4wd will flatter you from a standstill if that's what you're after but on the move the cupra feels far more alive and pulls harder than the aforementioned. Also coped well in the snow on the day I picked it up from the dealers!

I'm going to get mine dynoed soon as it feels like the engine is delivering well over 300 Bhp, I would suspect about 320 from the factory. Cracking car, make sure you have a good test drive to open it up!

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Getting off the line quickly takes some feathering of the throttle rather than just burying the throttle. As others have said treating WOT as an on-off switch will cause you issues with traction.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
I've not had any issues with traction in the 290, even in the wet. Decent tyres are a must such as Michelin pss or continental sc5. Yes you will get some wheel spin mashing the throttle but you will get that in any powerful car irrespective of drivetrain.

I tried the golf r, s3, m135i and focus st and found the cupra to be the most characterful and enjoyable drive, plus it actually feels quicker than the others above 20 mph. Of course 4wd will flatter you from a standstill if that's what you're after but on the move the cupra feels far more alive and pulls harder than the aforementioned. Also coped well in the snow on the day I picked it up from the dealers!

I'm going to get mine dynoed soon as it feels like the engine is delivering well over 300 Bhp, I would suspect about 320 from the factory. Cracking car, make sure you have a good test drive to open it up!

I remember early examples of the Cupra putting out around 298-312 BHP - the 280/90 bhp stated is just a marketing ploy but a good one aha

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
I have DSG and cup 2 tyres it puts power down ok tbh a little flicker of traction control and away you go. Cant wait to try launch control in the dry as it was a bit smokey and smelly in the wet :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for further replies all, good to read all's okay as long as I'm not an idiot. Will defo be test driving, along with these (and yes I know it's an 'interesting' mix!):

- Audi Q5 2L & 3L TDi Quattro S Line S Tronic.
- BMW 3 Series 320d xDrive M Sport Auto 2L.

There's nothing else out there grabbing my attention. Interested in the Ateca but Seat UK advise no release date for FR variant at present and I'm keen to change car this year whilst my current Leon is still worth something!

Last edited:

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
It's pretty terrible at putting power down on the OEM Bridgestones , especially in the wet. Wheel spin and Axle tramping is common which does my head in. In the dry it's fine , the traction control does interfere too much tho and it's best to switch to sport mode or switch it off completely. Then it really pulls.

I'm waiting for the Bridgestones to wear out and then slapping Michelin PSS on all round so hopefully there will be better traction all round.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Im on Pirelli P Zero on my 290 and on wet the traction is pretty terrible.. wonder if PSS would make so much difference? I also deflated my tyres a little bit as they were almost 0.2 bars above the recommended !

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Im currently on Michellin cup 2's im thinking of going to Yokahama AD08R's as they should be better in the wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xpo

May 7, 2016
Sweden
Getting off the line you get wheel hop, and lots of it lol.
The bridgestones mine came with where terrible. I'm now on contis and it's a little better. Good when dry, spinning in the wet.. You just need to be smooth in the start.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Conti sc5 on mine are very good. I'm waiting for someone to try sc6's out.

I did however get my first taste of the wheel hop/tramp the other day, thought a wheel had come off.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
My Cup 2's today in 25degrees heat performed amazingly no loss of grip or any signs of traction control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stubzie83

May 8, 2016
Redhill, Surrey
I just picked up my 280 yesterday and found that WOT in first can cause some violent wheel hop at higher revs. This is on the OEM Bridgestone RE050A. I found that short shifting in first at about 4K rpm helps although it wants to spin up the wheels in second if you put your foot down a bit too much.

I've just come from a 350Z, so it's a bit of a learning curve with FWD again as you can take some liberties with RWD in a straight line at least...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I just picked up my 280 yesterday and found that WOT in first can cause some violent wheel hop at higher revs. This is on the OEM Bridgestone RE050A. I found that short shifting in first at about 4K rpm helps although it wants to spin up the wheels in second if you put your foot down a bit too much.

I've just come from a 350Z, so it's a bit of a learning curve with FWD again as you can take some liberties with RWD in a straight line at least...

The Bridgestone's are useless.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
The bridge stones were so bad that I swapped them for Michelin pilot super sports and sold the bridge stones on gumtree. They had only done 1000 miles. The PSS s are much much better

dty73

Oct 28, 2015
The bridge stones were so bad that I swapped them for Michelin pilot super sports and sold the bridge stones on gumtree. They had only done 1000 miles. The PSS s are much much better

Out of interest, what did you get for them? And what reason did you give for selling them?