Tyres

rhinooneshot

Jan 24, 2016
What sort of life are we getting out of our tyres? I've got bridge stone potenza on mine. I remember having those on my civic type r and the front two only lasted 12 months!

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
some dealers will just replace it, and some will say it's been damaged/knocked. Luck of the draw.
My 184 FR came with Pirelli Cinturato P7, and they've been OK.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
happy mine is coming with continental not bridgestones but don't know much about them, always had pirelli in the past, any reviews on the conti's ?

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
What sort of life are we getting out of our tyres? I've got bridge stone potenza on mine. I remember having those on my civic type r and the front two only lasted 12 months!

The fronts on mine have worn quite badly. Problem is the car is pushing out a lot of torque and the front end is getting the brunt of it with wheel spinning on a few occasions. Noticed I'm nearly at the minimum wear indicator after over 8K miles. But the bridge stones are a terrible tyre. Every car that I've owned a car with Bridgestones and have had issues with. Not as bad as Dunlop sports which were plain lethal.
Also on a journey to work felt the backs not gripping and feels like the car lets go on back.
Can't wait to get them changed.

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
Bridgestones lasted just over 8K before I could stand it no more. Probably had about another 1K left on them but the lack of grip when accelerating left me feeling like I had bought the wrong car. They got considerably worse as they got closer to the legal limit.

Replaced with trusted Pilot Super Sports and left the healthy Brigestones on the rear. Car transformed. No more axle tramp and you have to be very aggresive to get them to spin. All round more confident, better drive with incredible dry and excellent wet grip and much improved in the damp.

Ran a couple of sets of these on my previous car with a bit more BHP and they outlasted the original Bridgestone Run Flats significantly so expecting to get 10K plus out of these. Worth every penny.

Word of caution with these. If its less than 8 degrees they don't grip well under acceleration until you get a mile or two on them. Seems like the compound needs to warm up more than others but it only take a mile or two and you shouldn't be caning a cold engine anyway so not an issue for me. Looking forward to summer.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015

Mine came with Bridgestones, rotated front to back on 8k and replaced all four at 15k. All pretty close to wear indicators.
Had I listened to everyone and known how good the car was going to be on the Pilot Super Sports I would have changed all four a lot earlier. Given how amazing the car is now I'm not expecting to get 15k out of the Michelin set purely as I'm driving it harder!!

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
Mine came with Bridgestones, rotated front to back on 8k and replaced all four at 15k. All pretty close to wear indicators.
Had I listened to everyone and known how good the car was going to be on the Pilot Super Sports I would have changed all four a lot earlier. Given how amazing the car is now I'm not expecting to get 15k out of the Michelin set purely as I'm driving it harder!!

My car is in for its first service on Monday. Have ordered 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 s for it. The Bridgestones are seriously getting on my nerves. The fronts are close to the wear indicators. The backs are still good. But the car feels too sloppy on them and when the roads get damp it's even worse.
I did a bit of research on the pilot super sports, and there are some mixed reviews. And looking at the PS4s seem to get better reviews. Already ordered them now, but is anyone using PS4's on their 184 FR TDIs?
What are people's thoughts?

rambalad

Nov 1, 2013
Merseyside
10% tyres discount code on eBay

Just ordered a couple of 18" Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's via Black Circles on eBay using the code CUKTYRESMAY16. valid until 25th May 16 and for a maximum discount of £100 per account. Saved myself £18.00.

Last edited:

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
Now have Michelin PS4s fitted. What an improvement. Grip is excellent in both wet and dry conditions. Car feels a whole lot better. Although it cost me £483 to do so. :( :cry: but now the car handles. :funk:

Sihey MK3 FR

Nov 1, 2016
Bridgestones lasted just over 8K before I could stand it no more. Probably had about another 1K left on them but the lack of grip when accelerating left me feeling like I had bought the wrong car. They got considerably worse as they got closer to the legal limit.

Replaced with trusted Pilot Super Sports and left the healthy Brigestones on the rear. Car transformed. No more axle tramp and you have to be very aggresive to get them to spin. All round more confident, better drive with incredible dry and excellent wet grip and much improved in the damp.

Ran a couple of sets of these on my previous car with a bit more BHP and they outlasted the original Bridgestone Run Flats significantly so expecting to get 10K plus out of these. Worth every penny.

Word of caution with these. If its less than 8 degrees they don't grip well under acceleration until you get a mile or two on them. Seems like the compound needs to warm up more than others but it only take a mile or two and you shouldn't be caning a cold engine anyway so not an issue for me. Looking forward to summer.
I have the Bridgestones on mine, I recently bought the car @7500 miles and was shocked at how low the fronts are compared with rears. Even on the 150tdi they are pretty poor in the wet. Pilot supersports or conti's for me next.

murcutt

Feb 12, 2014
My car is in for its first service on Monday. Have ordered 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 s for it. The Bridgestones are seriously getting on my nerves. The fronts are close to the wear indicators. The backs are still good. But the car feels too sloppy on them and when the roads get damp it's even worse.

I did a bit of research on the pilot super sports, and there are some mixed reviews. And looking at the PS4s seem to get better reviews. Already ordered them now, but is anyone using PS4's on their 184 FR TDIs?

What are people's thoughts?

I just changed my fronts to PS4s on my 184. Seem a lot better. Axle tramp gone, wheel spin reduced, feels more planted. Still have bridgestones on the rear but will change them out for the PS4s when ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
FR Tyres

Just replaced the Bridgestone OEM fitted tyres on my 63 plate 184 FR - worn to 3mm all round with Pirelli P Zero Nero GTs. Definitely feels more responsive, more grip.
£78 a corner from F1 Autocentres - online price fully fitted.

Luffer

May 2, 2009
Not seeing anyone mention Dunlop Sportmaxx RTs... are they no good? Price seems okay.

Stubaloo

Oct 15, 2016
Now have Michelin PS4s fitted. What an improvement. Grip is excellent in both wet and dry conditions. Car feels a whole lot better. Although it cost me £483 to do so. :( :cry: but now the car handles. :funk:

Wasn't aware the p4s tyres was out as they said January was the release date . Where did you purchase these from . Thanks

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
I`ve recently had continental contis fitted which seem pretty decent(most of the online tyre sites say they are standard fit on Audi`s) which I bought from tyreshopper and were delivered to and fitted at my local National tyres-there is also a money off code if you look on the net.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.