Towbar on a Cupra 280 ST?

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
Hi

First time poster but been lurking for a while so thanks for all the useful information.

I've looked through previous posts on this topic and I've not seen anyone who as actually done this.

Spoke to the local Seat dealers who were helpful but concluded that it wasn't clear if you could fit one as they had conflicting information. They couldn't see why not though and would have a go. With a fairly new car and the promise of some cutting I'm not sure having a go is the way forward.

Others on here have offered up that the cooling for oil and water won't be up to the task of towing a caravan but if you can ramp one of these round a track the way they do on you tube I w3ould have thought that would be a more severe test of cooling?

Can anyone confirm if they have done this and what sort of tow bar they got and does anyone have any thoughts on if pulling a small caravan might leave me stranded on the side of the road?

For anyone thinking its criminal fitting a tow bar to a Cupra ST I'd agree but the alternative is buying something boring for the other half and then having to drive it which is something I'd like to avoid.

Appreciate any information.

Thanks

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
You may have to speak directly to the towbar manufacturers, as the dealers seem to know very little.
I used a Witter 'bar on my FR ST as it required a non visible cut.
I'm fairly sure Seat don't list it for your car but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
As far as the engine cooling etc is concerned, that can be managed by sensible driving and common sense. I assume that, like most people, towing would only be a very occasional event.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
In the manuals for the Bizas I had, it always stated that the Cupras were not meant to tow or the engine would over heat, even the PD160 diesel I had. I presume the Leons are the same, but don't have a manual to hand.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
My last (proper) company car was a Fabia vRS which wasn't Type Approved for towing - my own fault for not checking first. Every other Fabia was though and even other cars with the same engine. I think it's the suspension setup which alters things more than the engine.

In short, if it isn't Type Approved to tow by the manufacturer (which it looks like the Cupra isn't) then you can't legally tow with it - irrespective of whether or not you can physically get a towbar to fit.

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
Followed the advise and contacted SEAT directly, I'm in two minds now as it seems to me that its possibly just the SEAT tow bar that would have an issue as long as you remain ignorant of the type approval. Thanks to those that replied.

SEAT response:
Thank you for your email enquiry in relation to the above vehicle. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response. This has been due to an unavoidable technical issue with our system which resulted in significant delays to some correspondence submitted through our website. Please be assured that no discourtesy was intended in the delay to my response.

I have enquired with our Homologation Department; who have confirmed the CUPRA variant of the SEAT Leon has not been type approved for towing. This is due to the layout of the rear exhaust silencer on the CUPRA preventing the use of the Leon ST towbar.

I can confirm due to the low demand for towing with our performance vehicles, there are no plans to develop a CUPRA specific tow bar or seek type approval for towing with the Leon CUPRA. I apologise for any disappointment this may cause.

Thank you for contacting SEAT UK.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.