Strut top mount hole rounded...

leegreenaway

Sep 1, 2013
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
Low and behold I try to do my front springs from my current shite to my vogtlands...thought I'd start on the passenger side, since there's less room to work with, was a b!tch but got it done. I move to the drive side, wheel off, droplink etc and get to take the top mount bolts and cap off only to realise...THAT THE ALLEN KEY JUST ROTATES IN IT :censored:[:@] wish I'd found the bellend that did this, I'm sure it was a cowboy garage from years ago when I first had the car but there you go...live and learn

So now I've got a b@stard new spring and an old spring on the front and have no idea how to fix the rounded problem.

Any advice? Only thing I can thing of is to hack saw a groove in it and use a big a$$ flat head screw driver.

Only other option is going to be new front shocks which I can't afford at the moment!!

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The easiest way to get around this common problem is to get a local grease monkey to whizz the nut undone with an impact gun then wind it back on loosely just so you can drive it home.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It will undo it though and if it doesn't you certainly won't get it off with by hand using a hex key and spanner which then means you'll need to cut the nut off anyway just to replace the strut.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

leegreenaway

Sep 1, 2013
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
If I can get a cut along there though I can use a flat head screw drive to lock the shock while turning the nut safely...no risk of damage then. Just wondering if anyone else has done it is all....impact gun seems too agressive as I can't risk damaging the shock

Wells73

May 3, 2016
The easiest way to get around this common problem is to get a local grease monkey to whizz the nut undone with an impact gun then wind it back on loosely just so you can drive it home.
Pretty much always works, never bothered with the Allen key method. Bigger realisation for me was when I did the driver's side on mine recently the hub had to be disconnected from the drive shaft in order for the hub to clear the bottom of the strut. Not seen that before... like you I didn't find that out until I'd already done the passenger side!

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Everyone I've ever met in a workshop or professional environment will use a quick blast with the impact to get it off you dont sit and hold it on the bolt just give it a quick zap and comes right off.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
another vote for impact gun, it won't spin everything but shock the nut right away.

Otherwise it's Dremel time to cut a groove

Finally and least recommended is to get the next size up Allen or Hex bit and ram that sucker home, araldite it and leave it in place for next time!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.