Vehicle tax bands 2017

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
So, I was reading this today: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car...nsfer-road-tax-when-you-buy-or-sell-your-car/

and then I checked my annual tax reminder and see that my car's CO2 level is reported as 151 G/KM and so according to that article above, my tax for 2017 will be £500, great. Almost 3 times higher than I pay now (£180)
Is my choice to buy one of the smaller engined underpowered, suprcharged, turbocharged, low fuel economy cars just to comply with emisisons and have lower annual tax :censored:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
So, I was reading this today: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car...nsfer-road-tax-when-you-buy-or-sell-your-car/

and then I checked my annual tax reminder and see that my car's CO2 level is reported as 151 G/KM and so according to that article above, my tax for 2017 will be £500, great. Almost 3 times higher than I pay now (£180)
Is my choice to buy one of the smaller engined underpowered, suprcharged, turbocharged, low fuel economy cars just to comply with emisisons and have lower annual tax :censored:

You have that wrong. The figure you have quoted is for cars registered in 2017, I.e new cars. Your tax will be £185 a year.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Tax bands are still calculated unfairly. You can't charge on a g/km basis if you don't take into account the distance travelled.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
You have that wrong. The figure you have quoted is for cars registered in 2017, I.e new cars. Your tax will be £185 a year.

Ahh, I should read everything! You're right, it does state: "These rates will change for cars registered after April 1, 2017."

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Not to mention you quoted the first year price, all new cars will be £140 unless emission free.

Much better for buying the likes for a Cupra when I checked.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Taxes are used wisely to provide us with perfect roads and eliminate potholes, right?

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
Taxes are used wisely to provide us with perfect roads and eliminate potholes, right?

Council tax pays for potholes

Vehicle excise duty is money used to offset the carbon footprint created by vehicles

Road tax stopped being used for potholes decades ago unfortunately. Hence the state of the roads

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Fuel duty....

Yes, it should be charged like fuel duty. It would probably only add 1-2p per litre to the cost of fuel and everyone would be taxed.

It would be a fairer system as you would only pay for the emissions you create, rather than being charged based on an arbitrary value dreamt up in a lab that doesn't take into account driving style or distance travelled.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise