what have you done to your car today ?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Finally someone has fitted a different light switch without it looking slap dash!
I've been looking into this since I bought my FR.
Wiring aside, is the mk5 switch a direct swap?
Are the plugs the same on the switch and dimmer / leveller?

Am I right I thinking I need to buy something like this then add an aftermarket auto lights switch?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=322023169677&alt=web

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Finally someone has fitted a different light switch without it looking slap dash!
I've been looking into this since I bought my FR.
Wiring aside, is the mk5 switch a direct swap?
Are the plugs the same on the switch and dimmer / leveller?

Am I right I thinking I need to buy something like this then add an aftermarket auto lights switch?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=322023169677&alt=web

Cheers mate, yeah that's the switch I went for. I already had the auto lights box and rotary switch. The connector on the dimmer is totally different to ours - 8 wires instead of our 7!!!! - this is why I'm needing a wiring diagram for dimmer :cry:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Ok cool, did you need to cut out the back of the dash panel to accept that mk5 switch surround?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Will the dimmer not just be the same for when you wire up the boost guage? My boost guage dims when dimming my lights on the dash

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Here's a comparison of the size required against original hole:
image_zpsgeogafij.jpeg

Leon connector for dimmer:
image_zps84sog5yu.jpeg

7 wires

Golf mk5 dimmer connection:
image.jpg1_zpsin5ooxry.jpg

8 wires

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Blimey I didn't realise it was that much bigger.
At least it's not the main part of the dash so if you **** it up its easily replaced.
What did you cut it with and how's the finish on the edges around the switch surround?
I assume it needed to be bonded in place.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
There's two wires you need to splice together on the switch the purple and green I think then the rest you do as normal, may be wrong but i no the purple and orange get spliced together on a boost guage for the dimmer

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Have you got VCDS as you may have to go into the control modual in sec 9 in click rain/light sensor installed, there a few ways to wire them as some come with fogs also, urs Dosnt have the fogs does It?

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Just bought an oil catch can and pipe, so should fitting that next week, also just bought vag com the full one so should have that on Tuesday.

Last edited:

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
Spent the whole weekend fitting a set of Coilovers , 4 new tyres, oil sensor ( which didn't fix the problem :-( ) , 2 drive shafts , track rod ends and track arms both sides. 15 years of dirt , and feek all wanted to come undone !! Got there in the end . Just need a wheel alinement , and the Coilovers being set up properly .
Wheel bearing booked in for tues and mot for Thursday .
Fingers crossed .