over 100k on clock, can i remap?

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Hey,

I've had my LCR for 4 years now just recently been thinking about remapping it.

The car has covered 104000 but I have equally spent about 5 grand in repair bills for her so other than the turbo there is not much which hasn't been replaced and I service it regularly. I think it had a hard life until I took over.

Am I OK to get a remap or am I just asking for trouble ?

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Get it mapped mate, if you have taking care of her then she will be good to you

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
I REVO'd mine at around 110k - if things are in good nick such as PCV hoses and boost hoses then go for it.

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Thanks for the reply, is it possible to ask for a 'safe' map, as in I want more power but not the absolute maximum so my engine will blow?

I am currently thinking Jabba sport in peterborough or would anyone recommend somewhere else ?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Yes mate you can ask them to do a minimal remap, just tell them what you want and they will do it, not sure about mappers near you mate but I drove down to AMD in Essex to get mine done, if you want something done properly it shouldn't matter how far you need to drive exspesualy if it's for your car

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Essex is close to me so if you think they are the top boys that's fine with me. I'll drop them an email an enquire about it, will they set it up on rolling road etc etc rather than just a generic map I hope ? You got any idea on cost ?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
They do the rolling road before and after, they can do a stage 1 map or just a standerd map, or anything you want, think it's about £300, I got the Miltek exhaust so got a half price map, also if you get the map from there they will prob tell you you have a boost leak even tho you don't, they do it with everyone, they do change a part maybe because with a map the pipe MAY burst, think that was £65 to get that done also, my whole bill was just under £900

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Yeah that's a good deal mate, I've already got a blue flame catback fitted and can't afford the full system at the moment as much as I'd love it !

Just had look it's 300 for stage1 map and possible 65 for a new hose think **** it I'm gunna go for it.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
A stage 1 map will just put a bit of excess pressure on your turbo and up your intake temps (not a problem on a Leon).

A Revo or APR off the shelf map is fine for stage 1, even on a medium mileage car like yours. It's tried and tested (an example being the Beetle 1.8T map which is held back because there isn't room for sufficient cooling in the engine bay).

irf

Feb 5, 2014
103k on mine and just got back from the Nurburgring. So two ring trips and castle Combe done on my map and actually going Combe next month.

What you want is a map that doesn't just concentrate on boost and hence torque at low revs. That's one of the reasons I went to badger5 because I knew his maps were good and custom for my specific car.

Boost is progressive and loves to rev which is what I prefer anyway over a crap load of torque and then relatively flat after 4K.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
i could be wrong but i think its about 350. smoke test gets done beforehand and before and after dyno.

Last edited:

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Just had a look at them mate, it's a 3 hour drive each way for me! So AMD it is lol.

Cheers for help though, would I be correct in thinking a service before hand is a good idea ?

Danio

May 17, 2016
I've been through a similar question... My Cupra is on 140k, but I'm gonna go ahead as if it is brand new.. If it goes bang then I'll find a new engine and transfer everything across :)

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Just had a look at them mate, it's a 3 hour drive each way for me! So AMD it is lol.

Cheers for help though, would I be correct in thinking a service before hand is a good idea ?

Yeh do a service mate, oil and filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, any air filters, Coolent if it's never been done, I'd clean your oil pick up pipe also while doing the oil change.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
My LCR had a stage 1 amd remap at 85000 miles and now has done 110000 miles with no problems apart from 2 coil packs which went last month.

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
It went from 220 as standard to 260 which I was happy with. My MAF was faulty and needed to be replaced which was a further £100 but to be honest I don't care lol, the car is so much faster ! Feels crazy lol I couldn't stop smiling.

When I change up I do seem to get half a second of turbo lag even when I'm in high revs booting it, is that normal?

It's literally as it goes into the next gear up there's just tiny wait till it pins you back again.