Wheel hop issues

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
The argument about having good tyres on the rear is a fair one. However on front wheel drive cars the rears don't get touched, on my Ibiza I changed 3 front sets before I event touched the rears. If the rears are getting low then yes I do swap them but if they have a good amount of meat left then I don't bother.

A better/safer strategy is to move the rears to the front when replacing the front, this way you wont end up with "aged"/worn rubber on the rear and soft new rubber always on the front. This is when grip can be affected in a skid and you want the rear to grip best. Tyres are recommended to have a life of 6 years for maximum performance. Unless you are doing 000's of miles a year then with 3 sets of fronts you could end up on old rears easily. The only downside is that you might get more understeer, but this is safer than oversteer.

Mike Brewer did a piece on one of his shows showing the real effects of both strategies. One of the best tips I learnt.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
^^ Agree. Better again, if you really care about safety AND corner balance, is too swap wheels front <=> rear before the wear difference becomes too big. First swap quite soon, when fronts are down a mm more, then again when the same condition arises thats three maybe four swaps to wear down all four evenly, without at one time driving with very worn fronts and the when you change them to better tyres, to have the opposite situation.
But I guess only a true petrolhead would do so much trouble ;)

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
On topic: with PS4 tyres I have no wheel hop in the dry,

Edit: take that back, today it gripped (very well) and it hopped pretty violently. My billet insert has bent at the front since before. Gonna try an urethane one if I don't get the updated billet one...

and in the wet my 034motorsport dogbone insert reduces them significantly in intensity.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members