Noise when turning right.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hi all....for the last 2 weeks or so i have getting a loud rubbing/squeaking noise when taking right hand bends...if i go left there is no noise.The more forcefully i take a right hander,the louder the noise which oscillates relative to the speed i am doing,as if its related to wheel speed.
Its definitely not a rumble or knock which rules out wheel bearing and CV joint.
Any ideas ?

Calumcjm

Jul 26, 2015
Glasgow
Could be that your power steering pump is leaking, it was the same for mine. These are known for having leaks. Could be worth topping up the power steering fluid to see if that stops the noise - just so you know that that's what it could be

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
If I take a right hand corner gently there is no noise....the more I boot it the more noise there is....power steering level is ok and the system doesn't leak.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Car lowered? Standard loop over anti roll bar (unless lcr). All mk4 chassis models suffer from this usually find driveshaft rubbing on roll bar much more evident turning right and camber /slope of road worsens it

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Yes this does sound very feasible as car is lowered 40/30 on AP springs and shocks.. I will have to have a look under the car in a bit. Whats the most cost efficient fix for this ?
Also, why is it more likely to happen turning right rather than left ?

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Its usually fairly evident where its rubbing on the driveshaft as its forms a nice ring ! Its more prevalent turning right as its a longer driveshaft from the box which increases its ability to deflect at more of an angle bringing it into contact with roll bar and the lovely low speed grating sound with it.

At that rate of lowering I've heard of people getting away with an adjustable drop link to effectively "push" roll bar further away. Otherwise its change of roll bar either aftermarket with bigger hoops, or something which goes under driveshaft s3, tt, lcr but you then need to think about securing droppings properly as very different design.

Check if your ap shocks have the eyelet at Spring seat to accept drop link-doubt it though

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
I will change my last post to...It deffo IS the driveshaft rubbing..Doh ! Can someone point me in the direction of some half decent adjustable anti roll-bar links to replace the plastic ones please ?

Last edited:

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Well I don't know whether to get a shorter or longer roll bar link. Also, I have noticed a bracket with hole on each of the AP shocks.....anyone know what it's for ? Just below spring seat on the left.
e5ebddac6438a40aecf06b80bb0f41e9.jpg

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
Them shock absorbers are for Cupra R set up , the loop is where Cupra r drop links go but to make use of that link you need to swap to Cupra r bottom arms I believe as they are cast arms and slightly different ,
Best way round it is a rollbar that goes under the drive shaft , R32 , golf 4mo ,
I tried adjustable links and they kept hitting my brake calipers so I fitted a golf 4motion 2.8 rollbar to mine ,

Last edited:

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Well I've just fitted some adjustable links off eBay and set them to minimum length...90mm between bolt centres...and all seems well after giving the car a good seeing to on some local roundabouts.Looking from where the wheel fits on,the driveshaft was rubbing at about the 10 o'clock position on the inside of the rollbar hoop. The shortened links have pulled the hoop further down and forward,giving more clearance.
002b7cb63243dba15d5f00206fe132b0.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.