Coolant system

Tom3593

Mar 19, 2016
hi guys changed my thermostat today due to when I was driving it went right up and the pipe that comes from the thermostat was cold, so I have changed this and bled the system and went for a drive and the temp started to rise again and the pipe was cold again after s new thermostat but as soon as I pull over it goes down

When I open the cap on the expansion bottle it becomes hot and when you turn the engine off it sounds like loads of air stil in there

I'm hoping I'm not going to need todo the water pump is it just a case of bleeding it in a special way ??

Thanks in advance guys

RichyH

Dec 20, 2015
Lincoln, UK
What temp does the dash dial read at it's peak?

The expansion chamber will un-expand once the engine is turned off and will still hold air for a while, that's normal.

The thermostats are crap, mine didnt even work originally, only problem being the annoying beep when starting her up. If the temp is spiking above 90 once you've been on the road for 15 mins, i'd say it is most likely the water pump, normally they get replaced every 70-90k depending on how it's been driven. Overheating COULD be a major issue so i'd get that looked at at a VAG/performance garage sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom3593

Mar 19, 2016
What temp does the dash dial read at it's peak?

The expansion chamber will un-expand once the engine is turned off and will still hold air for a while, that's normal.

The thermostats are crap, mine didnt even work originally, only problem being the annoying beep when starting her up. If the temp is spiking above 90 once you've been on the road for 15 mins, i'd say it is most likely the water pump, normally they get replaced every 70-90k depending on how it's been driven. Overheating COULD be a major issue so i'd get that looked at at a VAG/performance garage sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do thanks for the reply mate

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Have you had the water pump done or is there service history to say it's been done? Normally what ur saying means water pump has gone, they had plastic impellers and were prone to snapping of inside the engine, now there's metal ones but you can still buy the crap plastic ones, I'd say it's the water pump mate

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Best way to check if the water pump has gone is open the coolant bottle start the car and if the coolant overflows when hot the pump is shot, another way to do it is start the car with the cap on and start the car when it gets to Quater heat open the cap on collant bottle slowly, take it right off and if the coolant over flows the water pump has gone, if the water pump is working fine the coolant. Should never overflow

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Yeh like Bruce says lol don't have ur face right on top of it watching if the coolants coming haha that's why I said do it SLOWLY!!

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
I would not recommend gloves... Speaking from experience... If your coolant tank were to violently overflow upon taking the cap off, and saturate your glove, you do not want to be wearing it, use a towel or old tshirt or similar, something you can move your hand away from.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I would not recommend gloves... Speaking from experience... If your coolant tank were to violently overflow upon taking the cap off, and saturate your glove, you do not want to be wearing it, use a towel or old tshirt or similar, something you can move your hand away from.

I take it you were wearing cloth type gloves :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members