Worth restoring?

ibiza4ever

May 29, 2016
Hello all,

I'm new here. I signed up because I'm interested in a Ibiza Mk3 cupra 1.8T 20V from 2001. I can get it for free, it has been sitting outside in the rain for 8 years. It hasn't been driving since then.

The paint is breaking off, so there's a lot of rust where the paint has gone bad. The brakes are jammed, the window in the roof has leaked water, so there's mold all over the seats.

I did not test the electronics but I'm pretty sure the radio etc won't work anymore.

The engine is probably still good. Of course, the battery, tires, oil, oil filter,..etc all needs to be replaced.

So, here's the question: is it worth restoring this car? Or is it just not worth the costs?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

WeeC

Aug 5, 2004
Glasgow
Can you do much of it yourself? If so that will certainly cut the costs of doing it, parts are relatively cheap to get and they are not hard to work on. Paintwork is a tricky one, probably a bigger investment than sorting everything else combined. The electrics are rotten on these cars in my view so possibly a good thing if you do need to replace them (fuse box on top of the battery being one of a few electric faults I've had).

I've had mine for 9 years and spent quite a bit just maintaining it (its near standard standard except having a refurbished KO3s fitted). I've passed the point of weighing up what I spend on it versus it's value. They might go up in value as they get rarer but that's a big might. I love it for just nipping about town and with decent suspension and a strut brace it handles quite well. Compared to some modern cars, it is basic in what you get but makes up for that in being a bit more fun to drive. Just my thoughts!

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
In Short no it's not worth restoring but if it sounds like a fun project and if you're willing to tackle it all yourself it could be a lot of fun.

Reactions: Madda