Bonnet cable fault (NOW FIXED WITH PICS)

centurion

Hi

Today i went to open my bonnet to top up washer fluid and the release leaver under steering wheel pulled back and nothing happened. it pulls right back and feels loose as though the cable has no tension.

when i pull the leaver nothing happens there is no movement from the tab that pops out normally to release the bonnet from grill. It is completely shut.

Any ideas on how i can get this sorted without a trip to the stealers. My car is a Leon FR+ 1.9tdi 150.

tried pulling the lever and getting a mate to push bonnet down and even pull it up while i pull the release lever i think the cable has snapped. if this is the case what will need to be done?

Has anyone on here experienced this problem and is willing to lend some advice? :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I had the same problem on my previous car (Fiat). On that one, the cable that runs to the bonnet release had a little ball attached to the end, and this normally was behind a little plastic lip on the release lever. All that had happened was that it had come out, partly due to the cable having gotten stretched over time.

If it happened on my Leon I wouldn't bother taking it to an official stealer, just any decent garage should be able to get a replacement cable for a few quid (I guess) and take max of an hour or so to change it. If you have a close look in behind the lever you might be able to see the cable and where to reinsert the little ball but wear gloves if you attempt it yourself, I sliced my fingers open in several places trying to put it back in place.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
it's the mechanism at the bonnet catch that as seized up i bet, you need to clean it/spray some wd40 or the like into where the mechanism pivots.

centurion

Thanks for the advise guys.
I tried spraying the wd40 on it the link was very helpfull as it helped me understand where to piont the straw, but unfortunately that hasnt helped.

The bonnet is completely shut and the lever has no tension. i think its the actual cable that has come loose/snapped not on the lever side its somewhere under the bonnet where the problem lies.

Will post back once its sorted and let you guys know exactly what happened.

centurion

Sorted

Problem solved.

The problem was the clips that hold the cable in place had popped off you can see them in the picture with red arrows pointing to them. I fixed it so this doesn’t happen again with some strategically placed cable ties as shown in last picture.

The first step was to get the S badge grill off. This took me a while to figure out. The top cover seen in the first picture has two tabs/clips, which go into top of the grille. So while the bonnet was shut I pushed it up with a trim removal tool till it was released from the grill then with some wiggling about I managed to pull the grill out without damaging anything.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

After I had done this next step was to remove the 2 bolts holding the covering plate in place as shown in 3rd picture. Once this was removed I pushed on the mechanism to release the bonnet. Finally the bonnet was open.

IMG_0112.jpg

Next I removed the bolt holding the mechanism in place (can bee seen in the picture above its the one in the middle under the pull tab for releasing bonnet) and found that the cable had come adrift from where it was mounted on the back of the mechanism.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

At this point i got the camera out and thought it would be a good idea to post some pics. once securely put back with some cable ties I cleaned and then greased catch and put it all back together.

IMG_0110.jpg

I hope this is of some use to someone who may experience the same problem.

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
bonnet release

thanx for the help
every one who posted this problem
just sorted this problem on my 53 lc.... yes i know its a boring standard car but any help
that keeps me out of the stealers is good
on mine simply blagged it with wd 40 and played around with it for a bit
if you know what i mean :w4nk::lol:

Culli

hi, just experienced the same problem on my 53 plate but can't get anything to work. i was at my parents house and my father tried to open the bonnet to top up for me, so i don't know exactly what happened. im guessing the cable part worked as the bonnet has popped up a cm or so, but the black pull tab didnt emerge.

ive lubed it the best i can with wd40, and managed to wiggle and pull the tab what i think is pretty much all the way out. no amount of screw driver prying has helped me release the clasp inside though and without another car to see how it all works im stumped.

i'm guessing the only advice im going to get on here really now is to take it to a garage, or keep wiggling screw drivers in it. i would also like to shut it properly if i can't open it as i have to drive on the motorway later and im worried it will fly open.

so, any advice on a technique for opening it?
any advice on getting it shut if i can't open it?

i've considered cutting the grill off to get access, as i can't remove it myself for some reason, it seems to be welded in and looks like its more likely to break off than it is to come out.

thanks

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me what that Micro switch does o the bonnet latch? is it for the Alarm?

handy post though[B)] i may strip mine out as it is very oiled up like that Micro switch as i fear it may not be working :(