Bonnet release advice

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i squirted under the hood at the mechanism which was just visible in the light.
a good dose a couple of times. 1 to work and 1 to clear gunk and work again. will do again later when car defrosted...

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
God damn!

I'm start to lose patience with the Leon now. I've just fallen foul to the stuck bonnet [:@]

Just read this thread and squirted loads of wd40 all round the pull out tab thingy but still no luck. I've got a very clean and shiny front seat badge though. lol

The bonnet only seems to be lifting 5mm or so. any ideas where i need to be squirting the lube?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
hey guys.

Any ideas how to sort this as I've tried loads of wd40 and still no luck.

I have managed to release the bonnet more than before by giving it a good old pull and I can at least see the lock mechanism now but still cant get the little tab to release the bonnet :(

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
Can you open it enough to have a poke about at the mechanism with a screwdriver? That might free something up. Maybe tap the screwdriver gently with a hammer to release it.

When my catch jammed it was after having the bonnet open and it wouldn't shut again so it was a bit easier to access... I eventually managed to loosen it with a screwdriver and stacks of WD40.

Make sure you grease it afterwards to stop it happening again :)

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
cool. I'll have a good poke around and see if I can free it up. Once I get it open I'm going to strip the mechanism and give it a full clean, grease and service. I really don't want this happening again.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Just did some maintenance this morning including WD40 and bike chain lube the bonnet release mechanism.

Decided to simulate WD40 through the grill as if the mechansim had stuck. If it were a Cupra/FR then it would be the honeycomb hole immediately to the left of the release tab. This would be the first full honeycomb hole. In terms of distance from the tab, about 1cm.

I aimed the red straw complete with the WD40 aerosol at the pivot point that started to stick before. On a small aerosol (I don't know if the straws are any bigger on a larger can), I had about 2cm of red straw left outside of the grill to the nozzle of the can. Any further in it would be obstructed.

The straw was almost horizontal but with a very slight incline upward.

I would say in a nutshell just go in 1cm left of the tab, until you hit something, pull back 1cm then douse.

At the back where the spring is will need lubing too but you can't really gain access to it with the bonnet down as its behind a bracket.

Hope that this may help some poor unfortunate soul.

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
Help please - I can't get the mechanism to release the bonnet. Is it the handle in the car that pulls the cable that releases the main mechanism?? Or does pulling on the black handle in the grill cause the mechanism to release??

I have taken the grill off and removed the screws (3) so the bonnet lifts now but I can't get the mechanism to release the U of the bonnet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Can you stop bumping threads from 5 years ago. If you actually read all the information in the 4 threads you've bumped, you'd go some way to getting your bonnet up. You need to spend some time with penetrating fluid, and some tools trying to work things loose.

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
So you aren't allowed to ask for assistance when the comments don't actually tell you any thing apart from put a screw driver in there and wiggle it about?? Or douse it with WD40. I spent 4hrs on the bloody thing and still no joy. So I think you might appreciate how totally pi$$ed off I am at this moment in time.

Thanks Gaz7 much appreciated.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.