Xtrons 8" Head Unit Advice

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Looking for advice on one of these. Haven't found much on Leons in the forum. Will I have to get a custom facia with it being 8" or will one from Dave at Sere do the job.
bbcf442ff9e2c1e2b2e929d15f1acf92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
Hi,

It should be a straight fit, and the facia from Dave will fit. the outer dimensions are the same, they have just narrowed the trim to fit an 8" screen. Are you aware that it is a Windows CE operating system, so there is no way to add apps. If you after a windows CE then that's fine, Android OS will give better flexibility and can customize to what app you want for a few more pounds.

Koush

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Hi,

It should be a straight fit, and the facia from Dave will fit. the outer dimensions are the same, they have just narrowed the trim to fit an 8" screen. Are you aware that it is a Windows CE operating system, so there is no way to add apps. If you after a windows CE then that's fine, Android OS will give better flexibility and can customize to what app you want for a few more pounds.

Koush

Thanks for the reply. I didn't but I was planning on fitting a nav. I couldn't think what other apps I would install. As long as I can get Nav, Radio etc I'm easy. Android doesn't run well with me, I'm an iPhone user.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Have to agree about the much greater desirability of Android units regardless of what phone you have.
I have a Philips WinCe unit and if it ran Android instead it would be fantastic.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Android is a great platform, if you really wanted to you could load an IOS skin to make it look like an iDevice, but not sure why you would want that haha.

That WinCe device does look temptingly cheap though!

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Android is a great platform, if you really wanted to you could load an IOS skin to make it look like an iDevice, but not sure why you would want that haha.

That WinCe device does look temptingly cheap though!

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Android. I'm more tempted by the price of this nav plus it does everything and more that I want it do for a Nav system. I'll happy give feedback when I get one installed.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I'm really curious why you say that about Android, in my experience it does exactly what you would want. If my unit ran it I'd install Torque and Carista straight away and there are hundreds more apps that would have relevance to in-car use.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
I'm really curious why you say that about Android, in my experience it does exactly what you would want. If my unit ran it I'd install Torque and Carista straight away and there are hundreds more apps that would have relevance to in-car use.

From personal experience I've found although Android is open source and does everything it doesn't always do it great. I understand the benefits of an Android unit with apps such as Torque etc. However already having access to Vagcom it's not a big deal for me.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
I have watched this VW/Seat/Skoda Android unit for a while and it has dropped £40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-To...dp/B00RDRE8FG?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Unfortunately this shows as unavailable, to be honest if I found an Android unit for the same price I'd take everyone's advice. The Win one just caught my eye because, of its price and I personally like the layout plus it has the main features I wanted, SD card playback, Nav, and Steering wheel control friendly. I no doubt will be on a budget for this Nav anyway and, some of the Android ones are a bit pricier. On the matter of fascia is Dave the guy to go to? I've seen some Connect2 ones however seller can't confirm a colour match despite giving a colour code.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Unfortunately this shows as unavailable, to be honest if I found an Android unit for the same price I'd take everyone's advice. The Win one just caught my eye because, of its price and I personally like the layout plus it has the main features I wanted, SD card playback, Nav, and Steering wheel control friendly. I no doubt will be on a budget for this Nav anyway and, some of the Android ones are a bit pricier. On the matter of fascia is Dave the guy to go to? I've seen some Connect2 ones however seller can't confirm a colour match despite giving a colour code.

I just successfully added it to my basket so it is definitely available.
I look at it this way, with my WinCE unit for SatNav I have a choice of IGO or an obsolete version of Sygic that has no map updates, with Android I have dozens of options just for SatNav.

To give a car analogy, WinCE is a Morris Minor, Android is a Leon Mark 3.

As for unspecified issues with Android, I'm totally in the dark as to what these are, I have used various Android devices running 2.3 up to 6 and I have never had the slightest issue other than the odd app that wasn't worth installing.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
I just successfully added it to my basket so it is definitely available.

I look at it this way, with my WinCE unit for SatNav I have a choice of IGO or an obsolete version of Sygic that has no map updates, with Android I have dozens of options just for SatNav.

To give a car analogy, WinCE is a Morris Minor, Android is a Leon Mark 3.

As for unspecified issues with Android, I'm totally in the dark as to what these are, I have used various Android devices running 2.3 up to 6 and I have never had the slightest issue other than the odd app that wasn't worth installing.

94fd6dbec9ed1f190f3db7e7bfd84e01.jpg

No luck for me I'm afraid

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Your iPhone is going to the wrong Amazon (.com instead of .co.uk)
My rubbishy Android phone gets this right oddly enough.

Last edited:

joncro

May 5, 2016
Im interested in a new head unit and my Android LG phone is linking me to the out of stock .com site as per the screenshot above.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I have tried again and my Wileyfox Swift resolutely continues to believe that I am in the UK.

What if you go to www.amazon.co.uk

and in the search bar put

Pumpkin for Jetta Golf Polo Caddy Passat 8 inch

Then it is the first hit

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
I have tried again and my Wileyfox Swift resolutely continues to believe that I am in the UK.

What if you go to www.amazon.co.uk

and in the search bar put

Pumpkin for Jetta Golf Polo Caddy Passat 8 inch

Then it is the first hit

I did find one for £160 but unfortunately it's went back up to £200 and it's running Win. All the Android ones are £250+

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Yes, that is correct, the question is would you pay £100 more for a Leon Mark 3 over a Morris Minor ?

I see your point, however if I am going to pay the extra for Android shouldn't I just get a genuine used unit as they are around the same price

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
If you mean the OEM Seat/VW ones, I think they look terrible, have the same issue with software as WINCE and I believe cost a packet to update the maps. One of those has a display roughly the size of a postage stamp.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.