Different types of petrol

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
I've just been reading online about different types of octane fuels as I have been using 97-Ron and going to get 99-Ron shell v power + next time I refill.

Then I read that BP used to sell a petrol which was 102-Ron and is £2.42 per litre! And claim they can add 7-10% on high powered turbo cars..

Then I came across octane boosters which claim
They can change 99 to 102-107 Ron depending on amount added

Does anyone have any experience on stuff like this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Think 5th gear did a test proving them to actually reduce power, so I wouldn't bother. I always stick with V-power 99 if I can, although have used Esso Supreme 97 once and that wasn't bad. Just avoid 95ron fuels as the car is optimised for 98 Ron fuel.

Bit like washing up liquid I suppose, you could use the really cheap own brand stuff, but you wouldn't if you wanted results!

andycupra

status subject to change
anywhere between 95 and 99 is ok.
perhaps 97-99 is recommended, ive used 97 ron over the years and never found any difference in mileage or drivabilty across 97-99 ron fuels.
The ECU can adapt over time, it may well be that being consistent is the way to go rather than chopping and changing to take advantage of any fuel benefits.

anything over 99 ron id say is a waste of time unless you have mods completed to take these into account, let alone the practicalities of getting such fuels.

Last edited:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Think 5th gear did a test proving them to actually reduce power, so I wouldn't bother. I always stick with V-power 99 if I can, although have used Esso Supreme 97 once and that wasn't bad. Just avoid 95ron fuels as the car is optimised for 98 Ron fuel.

Bit like washing up liquid I suppose, you could use the really cheap own brand stuff, but you wouldn't if you wanted results!

5th Gear fuel test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaBngvsPrc

Shell V-Power (98 RON in this test, is now 99) was found to produce the most power, about 5 bhp over standard 95 RON petrol. That's on a standard GTI too, so pretty relevant to us on here.

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
I've watched quite a few videos online of people using octane boosters and doing a before and after dyno tests on say cars like type r and they get gains of about 5 brake horse power without a turbo..

I have bought myself NF octane booster for £16 which can turn a fuel tank of £50 of shell v power nitro into 105 Ron , so I'm just going to see what results I get from that (May aswell try for £16)

Also when BP did 102 Ron there are lots of reviews online which say it turned there car into something possessed ..

I am Skepital but it is worth a try

Last edited:

Fishy

May 16, 2005
It takes a few tank refills for V-Max and Momentum99 to have any effect. Then the same again when playing with octane boosters.

Fish

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
I've just being using esso at the minute and I think it's good , so it will be interesting to see if I feel any difference with V-power nitro+

I've heard that if you disconnect the battery and restart few hours later the knock sensor can detect how much Ron is in the fuel (don't know how true this is though)

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I've watched quite a few videos online of people using octane boosters and doing a before and after dyno tests on say cars like type r and they get gains of about 5 brake horse power without a turbo..

I have bought myself NF octane booster for £16 which can turn a fuel tank of £50 of shell v power nitro into 105 Ron , so I'm just going to see what results I get from that (May aswell try for £16)

Also when BP did 102 Ron there are lots of reviews online which say it turned there car into something possessed ..

I am Skepital but it is worth a try

If possible can you post a pic of the label? Does it include a list of contents or a link to the safety data sheet?
Interested to see what they are using to increase RON if it's non-flammable.

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
I can't see any, just says its 100% safe to use ,

I've had a look on there website and it says nothing about the ingredients

I only ordered it this morning so will have to wait till it comes

Last edited:

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
I can't see any, just says its 100% safe to use ,

I've had a look on there website and it says nothing about the ingredients

I only ordered it this morning so will have to wait till it comes

You just purchased 300ml of Diesel for £16.50 :D

I've tried the Miller Ecomax in my car and I still unsure to this day if it made any difference.
I switched to Shell V Power and I seem to get good mpg with that fuel especially on long distance drives ~57mpg

Link to the Millers, and some reviews: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MILLERS-DI...63_bs_t_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=5RBAFKGGRD7DEQC09AM1

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.