Carbon fibre parts

Hb69

Jul 16, 2011
Kent
Is there much available for the mk1 in carbon fibre? I've found one or two bonnets, not much else though...

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
You won't find much, if anything available off the shelf. It's something I'm in the process of doing at the moment, setting up for production of some parts.

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
You can buy dipping kits and do it yourself, the process is called hydrographic dipping, its relatively straight forward and cheap, if your doing small parts like engine covers etc. Have a look, endless possibilities. And a nice sense of achievement when it turns out spot on!!lol.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Yeh heard of that to mate, looks very easy to do, good way to make money of ey people haha

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Its bloody addictive, i done my entire firestorm, only set out to do the hugger.lol and the missus got her wing mirrors done too, she wasn't impressed!! If you get good at it, you could defo make a few quid, your not Gona make a million, but anything is better than nothing.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Haha brilliant next do the toilet seat for a laugh lol that would be brilliant, mind have a new one ready tho for after lol

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Some of the hydro dipping stuff looks cool, and I can see its value for some parts. My parts will be 2x2 twill weave vacuum infused lay ups.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
There's a company in Bedford that do carbon body parts . Look on murdered lcr old profile . They did some nice rear bumper fins . I'm sure they did a few more bits

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I have a carbon bonnet for mine (not fitted yet as im plucking up the courage to cut holes in it for the aerocatches)
I did have someone try to make carbon wings for it a while back but due to some of the angles required heavy duty autoclaves so not viable

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Wings are possible as long as you design the mold right, and are willing to put the time in, admittedly would take a lot more time than any company would realistically be willing to put in to a one off set of wings.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members