1.4 TSI - super unleaded?

paulov

May 16, 2016
Derby
I am very please with the performance of my new Leon, but just wondered if anyone was using Super Unleaded in their 1.4 TSI rather than normal unleaded and if there were any tangible benefits?

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
I am very please with the performance of my new Leon, but just wondered if anyone was using Super Unleaded in their 1.4 TSI rather than normal unleaded and if there were any tangible benefits?

I always use Tesco Momentum 99, runs really well with no flat spots, both wife and daughters Fiesta's also use it again with no flat spots.:D

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Even in my 1.8 TSI I can't really tell much difference. I mainly used Shell V Power in my 1.8 for the first few months when it was new. I then visited my sister in the West of Scotland where all that was available anywhere near was standard Jet unleaded. I soon noticed than my car ran just as well on this standard Jet fuel driving around the West of Scotland for a few weeks and then back down the motorway to Nottinghamshire. I've never used any super unleaded again for over 2 years. Why pay between 10 and 15 p a litre extra for something that to me makes no noticeable difference. Perhaps others will think differently.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The ECU is adaptive. It will alter the ignition mapping if higher octane fuel is detected (via the knock sensor).

Allegedly, a good 1.8 will clock 195PS on 98 RON fuel with the factory ECU firmware and map.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Mine feels like it runs better on Shell Nitro compared to standard Unleaded. Seemed to be a bit more reluctant on acceleration with 95 RON somehow so I've stuck with the super unleaded even if it does cost a bit more.

On a 65 plate 1.4 ecoTSI SC FR

Last edited:

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I've run VPower on my 1.8 from new mainly for the cleaning qualities as my mileage during the week is quite low and it supposedly helps reduce deposits on the valves/cyls etc. No Tesco 99 round here for me else I'd give it a go.

I did hear some time ago that Super benefits engines with a power output ratio of 100bhp per litre or more, though I don't know of the truth in that as it potentially goes for most turbo engines these days yet most have 95 inside the fuel flap.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
I did hear some time ago that Super benefits engines with a power output ratio of 100bhp per litre or more, though I don't know of the truth in that as it potentially goes for most turbo engines these days yet most have 95 inside the fuel flap.

Probably true a few years ago - my previous 1.4 TSI engines were twincharged and really did benefit from using 98 or greater (it was recommended for the Fabia and it really didn't like running on 95 but certainly the Scirocco went a lot better on 98 or better - fuel economy alone paid for the increase in cost and the performance was also markedly improved). I've not tried the 1.4 in the Leon on anything other than normal 95 though but it's a different engine completely and not sure it would give any tangible benefit?

adamant

May 13, 2014
I use super unleaded every 4th/5th tank - just for the cleaning side of things. main difference is in my wallet, nothing noticeable on the road

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I use super unleaded every 4th/5th tank - just for the cleaning side of things. main difference is in my wallet, nothing noticeable on the road

I'm the same, but I change every 2-3 times. Don't really notice any difference - but I guess I wouldn't really alternating between the 2 like that

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
Used Super on the first fill and again for a long run recently, other wise I stick to Gulf or Esso....I never use supermarket petrol as I don't think the car runs right on it

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Mine runs fine on Tesco 95 to be honest and that's where it gets filled 95% of the time. Partly because it's over the road from home..

squidie

Sep 16, 2015
England
Just use the standard 95 octane, can’t say I’ve been tempted into a higher fuel grade since the comparison is normally nill to minimum.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Just use the standard 95 octane, can’t say I’ve been tempted into a higher fuel grade since the comparison is normally nill to minimum.

Just watched a repeat of a Fifth Gear episode when they tested fancy fuels against normal and Asda fuel (cheapest supermarket). the difference was hardly noticable even on the track and the consensus was for every day use, buy the cheapest 95 RON even in a so called performance car. It does have 98/95 RON on the flap of the Cupra anyway.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
I only ever used Tesco Momentum 99/Shell V-power/BP ultimate in my mk2 1.4Tsi sport.

It wont do any harm to run on the higher octane fuels. My car ran very smooth on those fuels.

For me its not about any alledged bhp gains, its about using the fuel additives in the higher Ron fuels to keep the fuel system as clean as possible.

Think of it this way......

You could use ordinary unleaded in your car, but then, if you want to clean out any harmful deposits from the fuel system, you'd have to then buy a fuel additive like Redex or similar to run through your system with a tank of fuel (if using 95Ron all the time)
Worse case is that you may have to get a carbon decoke service like Terraclean done eventually.

Whats the point in spending extra money on Redex to run through a tank??

You may as well just run your car on the good stuff from the off, its not that much more expensive & at least you'll know that your fuel system is kept as healthy as it can be without the need for buying any Redex or risking having to spend extra on a Terraclean service

Last edited:

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
My Cupra 280 either gets V-Power Nitro 99 or Tesco 99 Super. I don't go near Esso or BP for their 97. I do find it strange that BP and ESSO super is only 97. Surely competition is too strong to sell an inferior product.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members