Experience with Cupra 280/290

tinsleytdi

Dec 16, 2012
Hertfordshire
Hi Guys and Gals

After 7 almost 7 years of driving the FR diesel I'm looking to upgrade to the Cupra 290 but would like some information regarding what they're like daily to drive, and what kind of upgrades people have done, and experience with faults etc...!

Anything is appreciated.

Stubzie83

May 8, 2016
Redhill, Surrey
I have a 280. Nice to drive for a daily commute as it is fairly civilised. However, it can be poked with a stick and encouraged to get a bit lairy.

I'm on the Oem Bridgestone tyres at the moment, which don't seem to be able to cope with top end of the power band in lower gears. I believe it is recommended to change then out, which I plan to do when they have worn down a bit.

Generally it's nice to drive with only some occasional torque steer noticed. This seems to manifest itself through the movement of the car rather than through the steering wheel though and isn't too bad.

Sound wise, not too exciting, but 290 is meant to be better. Winding down the windows does however add quite a lot of turbo noise into the mix which can be nice.

Handling is quite good due to the diff and the DCC, but it is FWD do it will understeer eventually when pushed hard. However, I an impressed with it so far and it's much more comfortable that some other performance cars I have driven/owned which makes it a good daily drive

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2010
I have a 280 DSG Sub 8, its perfectly civilised in comfort or eco mode... bung it in sport or cupra and its a different car altogether! I haven't found any under steer yet but its on pilot sport cup 2 tyres which in the dry have an almost supernatural level of grip. My has a few issues that are "unique" to this particular car but as far as the driving experience goes its the best car I've owned.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Search the forum mate, plenty of threads and reviews on here. Depends what you are after in a car. If you want a civilised car one minute, then a very capable performance car the next, the Cupra is perfect. Test a few cars in the segment and make your mind up. I tried m135i, golf r and s3 as they all have 5 doors as I need them for the kids...the cupra has real character and won me over and I haven't looked back. Get one on a clear road and wring its neck, not much under 40k even comes close for smiles, and I still laugh my tits off when I put my foot down.

I've had tuned imprezzas, tuned type r, 6cyl bmws and driven all manner of powerful cars, the 290 tops them all, perhaps apart from a v10 M5 I had a blast in, but that wasn't much fun until silly speeds on a track and very heavy. BUT YOU NEED DECENT TYRES to bring it all together in the cupra. Plus it has delivered 32mpg over 6k miles driven without any care for mpg. It's a very impressive car, especially for the price.

driver33

Apr 9, 2016
We have owned our Cupra 280 SC for a couple of months. Top spec with bucket seats, DSG and multi spoke alloys (Conti's rather than Bridgestones ). Moved from an Alfa GT Q2 diesel with LSD, so fairly big change.
Cupra is obviously much quicker. Completely different league for acceleration. Handling and road holding is a bit better but steering is not as direct and is less communicative. Having said that the Cupra steering is still excellent.
Alfa interior is significantly nicer and feels more special. Bucket seats in the Cupra are a worthwhile improvement but costly.
Styling is again a win for the GT but happy with the look of the SC. It's nearly a coupe and I would say that it has filled the role of the best looking car in the work car park. LED lights are great and touch screen is way ahead of what I was used to.
Overall very happy with the Cupra. My only gripe is the small fuel tank. Limits range to about 300 miles. I was used to getting double that. Bit of a pain on a long run.
Found another mild irritation. Driver's seat does not go back to the original location if it is folded to let someone into the back (fortunately a rare occurrence for us)

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Had a Cupra 280 ST DSG now for nearly 10 months and done 9,000 miles and have to say its a Jekyll and Hyde type of car.

In Comfort or Economy mode it is a nice family car. However stick it in Sport or Cupra mode and its a different animal. Have to say its the only car I have driven in 4 years since selling my MINI that had me cackling like a deranged idiot!

Absolutely Love it!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise