Tinted rear lights

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
From my understanding this looks as if it has been sprayed with lacquer mixed with a small amount of black paint, this gives it the smooth gloss finish. Obviously masking off the reverse section. There are numerous different ways to do it from film such as Lamin-X http://www.lamin-x.com/. There are various different companies that do film like this, however it would be very difficult to cut out a section for example the reverse lights in the picture you shared. You could also spray them with tint spray although from my experience this leaves more of a hazy tinted finish. If your unsure try some fly eye, this is great to give you an idea, they are also very easy to fit and fairly cheap. You may even be happy enough with the results, however you can then take it further if you wish to and go down the spraying route.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Illegal to spray that dark isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends, the mend of using lacquer mixed with black paint can be very effective and still allow light through whilst giving that reflective finish. As long as your brake lights still show when the sidelights are on clearly and when breaking and also your reflective parts stay reflective you shouldn't have any problems.

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
So can this finish not be achieved using spay paint black and lacquer spray?

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think so needs to be pre mixed I believe otherwise it will just be solid black

sion_kwl

Feb 22, 2016
South Wales
would it not be easier to get self adhesive tinting film? less likely to overdo it then.

guy near me has a mk5 golf with blacked out lights. looks lovely but gotta follow him with a half a mile gap coz you can't see his lights unless its dark -_-

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Tint film would never look perfect as you'll struggle to get a perfect cut I would have thought

sion_kwl

Feb 22, 2016
South Wales
yeah could be a bit fiddly...
if you counteract the tint with some super bright LED's it should be alright, the only issue I see then would be the lack of a red reflector on the back... depends how anal your MOT tester is though

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Used some kind of spray tint on a previous car, the more you spray the darker it gets. Used to like it but now I'd just be paranoid wether people could see me braking.

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
I tried using tint spray before and it's very difficult to get an even layer that you're happy with. Used the whole can from applying it, wiping it off, having another go, then giving up and accepting a £5 loss

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland

powlzy79

Jul 23, 2011
Grimsby
It depends, the mend of using lacquer mixed with black paint can be very effective and still allow light through whilst giving that reflective finish. As long as your brake lights still show when the sidelights are on clearly and when breaking and also your reflective parts stay reflective you shouldn't have any problems.
Hi guys I've done mine like this With tint spray but I used 3 penny's over the reflectors just rember to do 2 light coats and then clear coat I've had no problems

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Did you keep the clear areas as they are aswell or did you do the whole light?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
From my understanding this looks as if it has been sprayed with lacquer mixed with a small amount of black paint, this gives it the smooth gloss finish. Obviously masking off the reverse section. There are numerous different ways to do it from film such as Lamin-X http://www.lamin-x.com/. There are various different companies that do film like this, however it would be very difficult to cut out a section for example the reverse lights in the picture you shared. You could also spray them with tint spray although from my experience this leaves more of a hazy tinted finish. If your unsure try some fly eye, this is great to give you an idea, they are also very easy to fit and fairly cheap. You may even be happy enough with the results, however you can then take it further if you wish to and go down the spraying route.

^^^^ this.

I had my local bodyshop mix up some tinted lacquer and did the rear clusters on my old focus.

Came out looking really nice and still let more than enough light through... wasn't expensive either, cheaper than buying new aftermarket clusters.

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Used some kind of spray tint on a previous car, the more you spray the darker it gets. Used to like it but now I'd just be paranoid wether people could see me braking.

^^^
This is axactly why i took mine off. On a sunny day your lights are almost impossible to see, brakes may show but wasnt worth the risk in the end... too many audi drivers near me who drive tooooooo close to you

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise