Recommend which VAG COM to buy please?

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Hi all

Can anyone recommend which VAG COM to buy please for my 03 mk1 Leon? Was working on the car and somehow managed to trip an air bag fault on the dash. :wtf:

Have looked on ebay and they range from all different prices. Can anyone advise which one to get and why, do some come with better software to allow you to do more? :confused:

VAG Diagnostic Cable USB for Seat Leon MK1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=VAG+Diagnostic+Cable+USB+for+Seat+Leon+MK1&_sacat=0

Cheers :happy:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Any cheap one will read and clear fault codes but they can't save changes in the adaptations setting. Either a full Ross-tech cable is needed to save changes or there are some Chinese cables available that will save changes too but check they will do that it you need a cable that can save changes etc.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I think ross-tech do a locked version for about £99 so you can only use it on one car. You could go the cheap route and get vcds lite and an ebay cable. I would recommend ALSO getting a bluetooth odb2 dongle and the full torque app which will only show EML codes but will also show a shed load of info like battery voltage, BHP, boost, coolant temp.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon

Leon Paul

Feb 3, 2016
Its just turned up actually and all looks good. Was supposed to arrive somewhere between the 1st and 5th of July and it arrived next day! I figured i couldn't afford the expensive version and wouldn't use it to its full potential anyway but didn't just want to clear stuff and use a cheapo looking one which you seem to need to do a lot of computer stuff to get it to work. This one had a good review and it says its the full version but for £30 i wont expect too much. I think until i plug it in and have a play i wont know but luckily there is a lot of videos on You Tube and guides on line of how to use it. Was watching a few last night and it seems to be pretty straight forward.

I only want it to do a throttle reset and see if i have any faults relating to my AC not working. Got a little-un due any day now as well and i know my other half wants anti-hijack turning on if i can. Just gonna have aq play and see whats possible on mt Leon and my other half's GT TDi.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Check out emanualonline.com (search VAG-COM) it's more expensive but I've had one for a few years and used it on a mk4 golf, b6 Audi and my Leon Lcr. Not all adaption's work but it uses Ross Tech's own software so you get a wealth of features that work and the cable is good quality.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Its just turned up actually and all looks good. Was supposed to arrive somewhere between the 1st and 5th of July and it arrived next day! I figured i couldn't afford the expensive version and wouldn't use it to its full potential anyway but didn't just want to clear stuff and use a cheapo looking one which you seem to need to do a lot of computer stuff to get it to work. This one had a good review and it says its the full version but for £30 i wont expect too much. I think until i plug it in and have a play i wont know but luckily there is a lot of videos on You Tube and guides on line of how to use it. Was watching a few last night and it seems to be pretty straight forward.

I only want it to do a throttle reset and see if i have any faults relating to my AC not working. Got a little-un due any day now as well and i know my other half wants anti-hijack turning on if i can. Just gonna have aq play and see whats possible on mt Leon and my other half's GT TDi.

Cool cool, I wonder what full software it is using?

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex

You should be able to turn the auto locking on with vag-com if your version can save changes. I turned my auto locking off and made all doors unlock with one press of the remote with my vagcom which is a similar version to yours.

Leon Paul

Feb 3, 2016
Yeah I've used it and so far so good. Just need to read some more online and have a play. Tried to do the locking earlier but dont think I changed the right thing. One question though, the throttle reset, I go to 060 to do it like most places say, but where it shows the information, mine doesn't have the same measurements. It doesn't mention throttle like the videos I've watched.

RichyH

Dec 20, 2015
Lincoln, UK
Yeah I've used it and so far so good. Just need to read some more online and have a play. Tried to do the locking earlier but dont think I changed the right thing. One question though, the throttle reset, I go to 060 to do it like most places say, but where it shows the information, mine doesn't have the same measurements. It doesn't mention throttle like the videos I've watched.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what's the purpose of a throttle reset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I've used the official Carista Bluetooth OBD adapter and Carista app to clear faults on several cars and also perform VAGCOM customization (dial sweep, chirp on lock/unlock, some lights settings etc.) on my mk2 with no issues.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.