Steering rack broke -Can I still drive?

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
My steering rack is knackered and keeps losing hydraulic fluid. If I top up the fluid it simply emptys on the ground! I've ordered a 2nd hand steering rack (awaiting delivery) but probably won't be able to get it booked into the garage for a week or so. Can I still drive the car? Is it safe and will in damage anything else (e.g. power steering pump)? Cheers in advance!

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
My steering rack is knackered and keeps losing hydraulic fluid. If I top up the fluid it simply emptys on the ground! I've ordered a 2nd hand steering rack (awaiting delivery) but probably won't be able to get it booked into the garage for a week or so. Can I still drive the car? Is it safe and will in damage anything else (e.g. power steering pump)? Cheers in advance!

Is this a serious question!?

The main thing that keeps your wheels pointing in the direction you wish them to is dumping fluid on the road, which could at any point lock up causing you to hit something or someone, and you would like to know if it is a good idea to keep using it....

Not to mention the fluid that you are leaving on the road, which is a potential for other road users, Motor Bike, Cyclists etc etc to slip on and have a crash.

The answer to your question is no, for your own safety and those around you, you should not drive your car with a known fault that will potentially cause an accident.

It might not be leaking huge amounts now, but there is nothing to say it won't around the next corner.

Last edited:

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
Is this a serious question!?

The main thing that keeps your wheels pointing in the direction you wish them to is dumping fluid on the road, which could at any point lock up causing you to hit something or someone, and you would like to know if it is a good idea to keep using it....

Not to mention the fluid that you are leaving on the road, which is a potential for other road users, Motor Bike, Cyclists etc etc to slip on and have a crash.

The answer to your question is no, for your own safety and those around you, you should not drive your car with a known fault that will potentially cause an accident.

It might not be leaking huge amounts now, but there is nothing to say it won't around the next corner.

Fair enough. Judging by the state of my drive, it's simply pi$$ed out the fluid after topping it up. Looks like I'll have to get it towed to the garage [:@]

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Fair enough. Judging by the state of my drive, it's simply pi$$ed out the fluid after topping it up. Looks like I'll have to get it towed to the garage [:@]

It's not worth even attempting to drive it if it's leaking that amount, do you have break down cover?

Could tell them it's failed and get the to move it for you.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if its not able to hold fluid you will only also destroy your pump if continuing to run engine with no fluid in it

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise